Friday, August 8, 2014

Putting First Things First

My Utmost For His Highest
 
‘Do I find myself continually saying in amazement to the commonsense part of my life, “Why did you want me to turn here or to go over there? ’Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?’ ” (Luke 2:49). Whatever our circumstances may be, that holy, innocent, and eternal Child must be in contact with His Father. Am I simple enough to identify myself with my Lord in this way? Is God’s will being fulfilled in that His Son has been formed in me (see Galatians 4:19), or have I carefully pushed Him to one side? Oh, the noisy outcry of today! Why does everyone seem to be crying out so loudly? People today are crying out for the Son of God to be put to death. There is no room here for God’s Son right now— no room for quiet, holy fellowship and oneness with the Father.’ CHAMBERS
 
Jesus was compelled to do his Father’s will. His concern for his earthly family was second to doing what the Father called him to.  As I read this I was reminded of the life that we have been called to.  Following God does not mean that you stop caring about other things .. it means that you have placed things in godly order.  First things first.  It is one thing to do something because you are so focused on yourself … it is another because you are so focused on God.  Do you say “no” to God because there are things that have taken His place in your life?  … The challenge for us is to not think that making God second to other things is reasonable .. and even preferred … There are a number of examples in the Bible that address this problem.  The principle at work is addressed in Matthew 6:24   “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”  We think .. we convince ourselves …. that we can love God and other things equally .. but God says you can’t.  By the way, He designed us .. He has some insight into our nature and tendencies.
 
Ok  here is a revelation (just kidding), God revealed what He revealed on the Bible for the purpose of sharing eternal truths with us.  He did not waste words.  If you read something in the Bible, it is there because we need to know about it.  His Word is Truth.  Truth does not change … not in time .. not in geography … not in culture … You can deny truth, but when you walk off the cliff … I promise, something bad is going to happen .. whether you want to believe it or not.  What is it that you have put ahead of God?  What truth are you denying? It’s time to get things in perspective .. get your priorities in order … and get about your Father’s business …
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: