Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Giving It Back To God

My Utmost For His Highest
 
2 Samuel 23:16 “So the three mighty warriors broke through the Philistine lines, drew water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem and carried it back to David. But he refused to drink it; instead, he poured it out before the Lord.”
 
‘If you try to satisfy yourself with a blessing from God, it will corrupt you. You must sacrifice it, pouring it out to God— something that your common sense says is an absurd waste. … How can I pour out “to the Lord” natural love and spiritual blessings? There is only one way— I must make a determination in my mind to do so. There are certain things other people do that could never be received by someone who does not know God, because it is humanly impossible to repay them. As soon as I realize that something is too wonderful for me, that I am not worthy to receive it, and that it is not meant for a human being at all, I must pour it out “to the Lord.” Then these very things that have come to me will be poured out as “rivers of living water” all around me (John 7:38).’ CHAMBERS
 
Can you imagine those three men . .risking their lives to get David some water to drink .. and when they returned with it, David poured the water out on the ground.  “Coincidentally”, I shared this story with our Experiencing God study group just last weekend. (BTW, I believe with God there are no coincidences.)
 
Recently, Martie and I received a sizable monetary gift that was intended for us.  We were thankful to the Lord for providing, but believed that we were to pass it on for the work here in Haiti.  Was it that we did not personally need the money? No.  Was David very thirsty when he asked for water.  Yes. Do you think that David poured every cup of water on the ground? And he never drank water again? No. But on that night with that water .. David recognized the sacrifice the men had made and offered the water as a sacrifice to God.  And so, we too, recognized what a great gift we had received through the sacrifice of others .. and offered it back to the Lord.
 
God blesses us to bless others.  The living water flows out of us.  It does not gather inside of us like we are a water tank so that we may be personally satisfied.  We are light in a dark world … Let your light shine .. don’t hide it under a bushel so only you get the benefit from it and miss the blessing God intended.
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: