Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Lord I Believe, but ....


My Utmost For His Highest
 
Faith
 
October 30, 2012
 
Without faith it is impossible to please Him . . . —Hebrews 11:6
Faith in active opposition to common sense is mistaken enthusiasm and narrow-mindedness, and common sense in opposition to faith demonstrates a mistaken reliance on reason as the basis for truth. The life of faith brings the two of these into the proper relationship. Common sense and faith are as different from each other as the natural life is from the spiritual, and as impulsiveness is from inspiration. Nothing that Jesus Christ ever said is common sense, but is revelation sense, and is complete, whereas common sense falls short. Yet faith must be tested and tried before it becomes real in your life. [..]  Faith always works in a personal way, because the purpose of God is to see that perfect faith is made real in His children. [..] Faith is a tremendously active principle that always puts Jesus Christ first. The life of faith says, “Lord, You have said it, it appears to be irrational, but I’m going to step out boldly, trusting in Your Word” (for example, see Matthew 6:33). […] God brings us into particular circumstances to educate our faith, because the nature of faith is to make the object of our faith very real to us. […] Faith is the entire person in the right relationship with God through the power of the Spirit of Jesus Christ.
When I think of faith my mind always goes to Hebrews 11:1 …. Substance of things hoped for  .. evidence of things not seen …. That is a good description but what does faith look like?  You say you have faith in Jesus … so what does that mean?  That you were saved from your sins? OK. But that is saving faith .. what about living faith (I just coined that so don’t try to Google it) We are called to a life that demands that we trust God and not ourselves .. Proverbs 3:5-6 are faith verses.  We are to live by faith. But in order for faith to grow , it must be tested.  In order to be tested, it must be put under pressure.  In order to be put under pressure, you must be in a place where you must make a choice .. trust God or trust yourself.
 
I was talking to a young man recently who was facing a really horrific event in his life.  One he never imagined he would ever face.  When it happened he came to see me.  He said that he wanted to leave the city, leave the country if he could .. he just wanted to get away.  I told him that I understood the feeling .. but discouraged him from acting on it.  That what he was talking about was impulse to what was happening and what he need to do was wait on God.  He could not see how that could possibly work out .. but he listened and it did.
 
We all will find ourselves in very difficult situations .. things that will make us want to run and hide .. to feel like we just can’t stand the pressure of the moment .. it’s at that moment that we find ourselves in the middle of a test … what do we do?  Philippians 4:6-7 says to be anxious for nothings .. but turn to God … He will give you the peace and assurance that you lack … not that the situation will go away, but you will see it and your future in a different light.  I encouraged the young man to read Psalm 5 … you might want to do the same ….
 
Psalms 5:1-3,11-12  Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation.  Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray.  My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.[…] But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.  For thou, LORD, wilt bless the righteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield.
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: