Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Counting It All Loss

Our Daily Bread

“We naturally want to draw attention to ourselves, to show off our accomplishments and abilities. Sometimes we think that life is all about us. But living like that is self-delusion at its worst. In reality, our sinfulness has put us “in the corner,” from God’s point of view. Thankfully, Paul’s testimony gives us the right perspective. In spite of his impressive credentials, he gladly surrendered to the supremacy of Jesus: “But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ” (Phil. 3:7). Paul admitted that in order to “gain Christ” (v.8), he had to lay all of his trophies down. So, give Jesus Christ the braggin’ rights of your life. Or, as Paul put it, “He who glories, let him glory in the Lord” (1 Cor. 1:31)—not in yourself!” —Joe Stowell
One of the things that people seem to marvel at, at least in the United States, is people giving up things to follow God’s call.   While we served in Mississippi and now as we serve in Haiti, so many people sit in ‘wonderment’ when they learn what we, and others, have left behind to follow Jesus and His command to ‘go’.  Actually I have given a good bit of thought to it, because it is so prevailing.  To the point, that I rarely offer the information to people, to avoid the mis-communication that I somehow take pride in what I have given up.  I was at a church this past Sunday and had the opportunity to share about the needs in Haiti.  When I was introduced, one of the sound-bites about our life was about what we had given up.  What I told the people and what I tell you is this “Don’t marvel at what we laid down or cast off, so that we could follow Jesus, but marvel at the God who changed our hearts so that we count those things, which we once cherished and strived to obtain, as ‘rubbish’ …

But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;’ (Philippians 3:7-9)

Remember whose you are and that this world is not your home.  That accumulation of wood, hay, and stubble may bring temporary satisfaction, but may keep you from living life to the full …. Ask God to change your heart as you draw close to Him.  One of our life verses is Psalm 37:4 ‘Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.’  I believe that means that as you seek the Lord he will change your heart so you will care what He cares about … any guesses what that might be?  Read Matthew 22:37-39 for a hint. 

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: