Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Navigating Through Moral Minefields

"The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks." - Luke 6:45

Have you ever been around Christians the speak harshly against other people? Or maybe around Christians that use profanity freely. Before I was born again, I used profanity freely in my speech. It was just part of my vocabulary.  I thought nothing of it. I would find pleasure in an off-color joke. I thought nothing of it. Then Jesus got ahold of my life. Suddenly the attraction of my profane vocabulary was gone. I felt uncomfortable around my friends who wanted a good laugh over something that was demeaning or degrading. It wasn't funny anymore. The Spirit of God was transforming my life. Oh, did I mention that I no longer found it necessary to drink myself into a stupor. I had been set free.

"But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints. Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving." - Ephesians 5:3-4

The Word of God is clear. We are to honor God with our actions, with our words, and with our thoughts.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." - Philippians 4:8

The thing is, we are exposed to those things I just described every day - everywhere. Social media is perhaps the greatest threat to pure thought. The latest thing is to show you only part of a profane word and fill the rest in with asterisks (****) You see enough letters to know what the word is and so your mind fills in the (****) with the missing letters and you hear the sound of the word in your mind. Gotcha! 

Pastor Greg Laurie once said, "Temptation can be like a bird flying over your head. You cannot keep it from flying over your head, but you can keep it from making a nest in your hair!" I use Facebook to post these devotions.  A lot of people read them. But my news feed is like a field of moral land mines. There is a lot of good, but it can be very dangerous at the same time.  

Be careful that you don't embrace the lie that "it's not so bad". You are being a prude. A prude is someone who is easily shocked. Sin should always shock your senses. If it doesn't - well, you are in trouble my friend. Using profanity does not make you a man. You know what makes you a man?

"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" - Micah 6:8

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: