Monday, January 8, 2024

Follow Me

"So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand." - John 10:24-28

The church we attend begins each new year with a 21 day fast. Fasting is not just about forsaking food but abstaining from things of the world that we find pleasure in. Not wrong things, but things that we like to do - eating certain foods is certainly one of them, but not the only one.  

"One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God." - Romans 14:5-6

Fasting is about some form of intentional - denial of self. Abstaining from some aspect of the world and focusing on God and faith.  Reminding ourselves where our love lies - or should lie.

"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him." - 1 John 2:15

Martie and I decided that we would stop watching television in the evenings - 5:00pm to bedtime. Something that has become somewhat of a habit. No news. No favorite programs to dull our senses. But wait, there's more! Instead, we are going to read books that have a spiritual emphasis. We read the Bible, of course, but this is in addition to the Bible. 

My first book is The Call by Oz Guinness. It is a book I have read several times - but not for some time. In the introduction, he poses a question,

 "Are you open to the possibility that there is one who created you to be who you are and calls you to be who he alone knows you can be?" He goes to say - "Then listen to Jesus of Nazareth and His two words that changed the world - 'Follow Me'."  

If "Sorry" seems to be the hardest word (according to Elton John), then "Follow Me" are the two hardest words (according to mankind). I will write more about this in my next post. Let me just say that if you want to understand your purpose then you must understand what it means to Follow Jesus. Not just understand the concept but be willing to lay down your nets.  

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone



No comments: