Wednesday, September 20, 2023

When Good Is Not Good Enough

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." - Ephesians 2:8-10

Of course, you know don't you, that a person can never be good enough to be saved on their own merit? I have known a good number of good people in my life. People that would run into a burning building to save a child. But even as good and noble as that might be, that is still not good enough. For other mortals it might be. The one who risked their life for another would be hailed as a hero. But even getting recognition for others and maybe a medal still would not be good enough. By the way, getting baptized will not save you either - it is a public profession of your salvation by faith.

"Now behold, one came and said to Him [Jesus], “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?” So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God." - Matthew 19:16-17

There are two possible points to Jesus response. First - that mere man can never attain the level of good that God requires. Only God is that good. Or two, perhaps He received being called Good because Jesus is the Son of God and was sinless. But mankind is not and that is why Jesus was here to begin with.

Our righteousness is in Jesus. We are made to be "good" by the grace and mercy of God the Father through the sacrifice of the Son - Jesus. In my experience, I struggle with sin enough to be reminded that I have feet of clay. That if going to heaven was dependent upon my goodness - my effort - I would still be headed for hell. 

We need to remind ourselves every day that God is good and we are not apart from His Son and our faith in Him. Not trusting in our own efforts but wholly on God the source of all that is good. There is a song sung by CC Winan - The Goodness of God

I love You, Lord For Your mercy never fails me
All my days I've been held in Your hand
From the moment that I wake up Until I lay my head
Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God
'Cause all my life You have been faithful
And all my life You have been so, so good
With every breath that I am able
Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: