Monday, July 24, 2023

Living Under A False Assumption

 "One nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all" - Pledge of Allegiance

Thinking that is an odd way to start a devotion? Perhaps - perhaps not. I can remember standing up next to my desk, hand over my heart, facing "Old Glory" and saying that pledge every morning. That practice may have fallen out of favor in more recent times. So why this morning? 

As I was driving back to Florida to retrieve our RV, I was considering all of the turmoil in our nation and I wonder what happened to the unity - liberty - and justice for all that I spoke of every day at school. Unity - all people regardless of race, color or creed are equal - the same. One not any better than the other. Liberty - freedom from oppression - political, social, economic. Justice - equal treatment and fair under the law and in the land. It was at that moment that I reconned that with the first phrase failing (One nation under God) - the rest was merely a pipe dream. Because of the sinful nature of man, diverse people being united as one, enjoying freedom and justice are out of reach. 

"I [Jesus] do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me." - John 17:20-21

What I pledged and hoped for was actually out of my reach - as it is for the rest of mankind - apart being reconciled to the Creator God by faith in Jesus. I can remember being taught that the United States was a melting pot - different people groups coming together becoming one people. 

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." - Galatians 3:28

That is the struggle today is it not? We have legislated unity and liberty and justice and it is failing. Why? Because most people have rejected God who is the source of unity, liberty and justice and peace. Logic says that if your assumption is false - your conclusion will also be false. The Assumption - That man can achieve on his own, naturally, only that which can be achieved supernaturally by faith and rebirth.

Unity, liberty, and justice will always be out of our reach no matter how sincere we are because of our fallen nature. It is not sincerity but faith that will make that pipe dream a reality. 

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone




No comments: