Friday, July 14, 2023

Conditional Faith - A Rationalized Compromise

"As they were going along the road, someone said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.” And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.” To another he said, “Follow me.” But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.” And Jesus[g] said to him, “Leave the dead to bury their own dead. But as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.” Yet another said, “I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home.” Jesus said to him, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God." - Luke 9: 57-62

The day Martie and I placed our faith in Jesus, I didn't give much thought about what it meant to live my new life - in terms what it would cost me. I really didn't care. I just knew that it was right! I think that is most probably the case with everyone who bears the name of Christian. That is not to say that there are not some aspects of my old life that continued to struggle with, even to this day. I did for several years in fact. On the other hand, there were a number of habits that did change almost immediately.

As Christians, our biggest challenge I think, is contending with the tension between our old and new natures. It is not God's plan that the moment we are born again we be whisked away to some spiritually safe place until we are called to heaven in the "sweet by and by." No - God's intent is that that we are meant to live out our lives, however long or short, in the same fallen world. Exposed to the same temptations and troubles as before. But not as victims but as victors. As living testimonies of God's grace and mercy through Jesus - resurrected. 

"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." - Galatians 2:20

The men that Jesus was talking to in Luke 9 wanted to follow Him, but they had another devotion - family responsibilities. They were bound to the natural but drawn to the supernatural - just like we all once were. Jesus told them in essence that if they were going to follow Him they could not have it both ways. They must choose. Don't we struggle with the same issues? Probably why that story was included in the Bible - you think? The temptation we face is to compromise our devotion to God in favor of our devotion to the things of this world - people and possessions.

"Teacher [Jesus], which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him [a Pharisee], “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment." - Matthew 22:36-38

Loving God is to be first and all-inclusive of our whole being. Our relationship with and to everyone and everything else springs from that primary love and devotion. We are to embrace that which honors and glorifies God and keep our distance and devotion from everything that does not. How is that working for you? Every time you fail at that it should be a reminder that you cannot live your new life by virtue of your own effort. BTW you are not a failure because you fail. You merely, once again, prove your need for a Savior.

"I [Paul] know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:12-13

When you fall - and you will - spiritually, pick yourself up - dust yourself off (1 John 1:9) - and press on by faith. Don't resolve yourself to anything less than obedience in every nook and cranny of your life. None of us will be perfected while we live on this planet. That does not make it OK to be complicit in the ways of this world. Complicity is compromise with the world. We compromise because we rationalize our sin. I once heard rationalize as telling ourselves "Rational Lies". Be careful that you do not follow that path. It can be very alluring. Be like Peter and Andrew. (Don't forget that Peter struggled later)

"While walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” Immediately they left their nets and followed him." - Matthew 4:18-20

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: