Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Remembering The Times When God Showed Up


Martie, my wife, and I were talking yesterday about Ebenezer in the Bible.  For those of you who remember the song “Come Thou Fount” The second verse starts with “Here I raise mine Ebenezer; hither by thy help I'm come; and I hope, by thy good pleasure, safely to arrive at home.”  As many times that I sang that song in that past, I would sing right past those words.  I didn’t have a clue what they meant.  Well, now I do – with the prompting of my wife ….. Ebenezer literally means “stone of help”.  (1 Samuel 7:10-12) “While Samuel was sacrificing the burnt offering, the Philistines drew near to engage Israel in battle. But that day the Lord thundered with loud thunder against the Philistines and threw them into such a panic that they were routed before the Israelites. The men of Israel rushed out of Mizpah and pursued the Philistines, slaughtering them along the way to a point below Beth Kar. Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, saying, “Thus far the Lord has helped us.”  

An Ebenezer is a physical reminder of a time when God intervened on someone’s behalf.  Most people would recognize the name because of the Christmas Story and the main character, Ebenezer Scrooge.  But even though the name has taken on a bad connotation, – there was redemption in his life – God showed up – could it be that Charles Dickens was really talking about God’s intervention and redemptive work in the lives of people so he used the name Ebenezer as the main character?  He could have picked any other name – couldn’t he.  That makes helps me see that story in an entirely different light … hmmmm.  

Dr. Henry Blackaby called those God-events – spiritual markers.  Pivotal events in a Believer’s life that they can look back to and see the hand of God.  If you are born again – then I am certain that you have your own Ebenezers.  Certainly the day of your salvation, but if you think about it, you will remember many more.  Reflect on those times today.  And then give God the praise. And if you are up to it – share some with others as a comment on my BLOG post for today.  https://pathfindermission.blogspot.com   CHARLEY

No comments: