Monday, October 22, 2018

Understanding The Unintended Consequences Of Our Sins

Sometimes the Lord lays words on my heart that are a little too close to home.  Today is one of those days.  In the song “Even If” by Mercy Me, a verse goes “night after night, reminding the broken it'll be alright But right now, oh right now I just can't” It’s one thing to tell someone else to have faith – to walk by that faith – to abandon the old nature and embrace the new.  The teller must also be the doer.  Everything that I write, first applies to me then to others.

So, the Lord lays a truth on my heart and, when it hits close to home – I question, in my mind, whether I should, can, or want to address it with you – you being anywhere from 80 to 130 readers.  But ….  I know I must – especially on these occasions. So let’s get to it!

I shared some of my story on a separate BLOG - https://gypsieforjesus.blogspot.com – some months back, so I won’t go into much detail – but one day when I was visiting my mom, I mentioned the idea of generational sin.  Not the idea that the following generations would be punished for their father’s sins, but that the consequences of those sins would reverberate through the generations.  The Bible says that we are each responsible for our own sins. But the suggestion that what my mom did would somehow affect her children was not received well.  As a parent, you don’t want to think that what you do or don’t do might impact your children in a negative way.  That your sins are not self-contained. The reality is …. our sins are not hidden from God and their consequences are not restricted to the one who commits them.

It’s one thing to be forgiven for my sins – it’s entirely a different thing to be relieved of the consequences of those sins.  The Bible does not promise that.  Sin forgiveness – yes – consequence avoidance – no!  The truth is that you will most likely be required to live with the consequences and so might those whom your sins affected.

That is what my mom did not want to receive and neither do any of us for that matter. Realizing the far reaching effects of my sin brings on guilt feelings and nobody likes that.  It was hard for her and for us to accept that choices – actions – sins – could have a negative consequence in the lives of those she loved.  Before I continue, let me make it clear, I believe that each of us are responsible for our own sins – each of us is born with a sin nature.  We don’t need anyone to teach us to sin. – it comes naturally.  But – we don’t live in a glass bubble.  The consequences of what we do, both good and bad, ripple out from our lives.  If you toss a pebble into a pond – notice that the ripples are bigger the closer they are to where the pebble stuck the water.  Same goes for the effects of sin and those who are closest to you.

Martie and I lived on a lake for a time.  If I was fishing and a boat passed by  - the wake from that boat caused waves and they rocked my boat.  On weekends – there were so many boats on the water and so much wake produced that the water became choppy making it impossible to fish.  That is what it is like when an entire culture is given over to sin – that is what it is like in our culture today.  So many ripples – so many waves – so much turbulence – so many consequences felt through the generations.  

So ….. back to the point – which is not to make you feel guilty – but to give you insight into just how far reaching our personal sin can be.  How significant it is that we have a Savior who is our Hope – and how our trying to avoid the consequences of our sins is hopeless.  

We all have regrets.  We all wish that some things about our lives and our relationships were different.  Our lives are proof that the world without Jesus is broken.  Accepting the truth that you cannot sin in isolation should help you want to draw closer to the Lord – perhaps see the world differently.  Maybe have the same compassion for people that the Lord has.  What I have written may not convince you.  Maybe it will remind you that sin is a big deal and has consequences – unintended consequences.  It may not convict you – but perhaps it will make you think – remember – and repent. It did for me! CHARLEY   



No comments: