Friday, October 19, 2018

Living By Faith – Confounding To The World – Profound To The Body Of Christ


I was working at the current Harvey home yesterday, when the man from the Gas Company came to turn the gas on.  I was working by myself, as I do on occasion, and he asked me where my help was.  I told him that I was working alone that day and that was a segue for me to talk about Pathfinder Mission and God’s call to serve others.  He was intrigued and asked more questions.  I could tell by his expression and language that he was a Believer.  Don’t know if you have experienced it, but the Spirit resonates between Believers.  The spiritual connection is obvious but is unspoken and super-natural. He commented on the good thing we are doing and left by saying “God bless you in your work.” 

Listen – we are not to revel in difficult situations that we find ourselves in – but I was reminded that our light will shine brightly when we walk through difficult situations by faith.  I was sitting in our travel trailer yesterday afternoon listening to the Blue Angels roar over me – over and over again as they prepared for the air show this weekend.  Frankly I yearned for quiet. Fortunately we have a friend here who opened her home to us – when we need it – and Martie and I reveled in the quiet of her home last night.  But … here I am this morning, writing this devotion and preparing for another day of restoration – this time with a good friend to help me.  

Martie and I live like we do by choice.  It is necessary to do what we do, but we could choose to do something else .. to live somewhere else.  But this is the thing – we are compelled by God’s call to serve others.  That means we must be willing to abandon what many consider to be vital to their wellbeing.  Paul wrote (Philippians 3:8-11) “Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death ...” 

That is true for every Christian.  What that looks like in each person’s life may be different.  We are not wearing animal skins and eating locusts and honey, but in the view of many Americans we are not far from it.  The point today is that I want to encourage you to make your faith the thing that shapes your life and your desires.  One of our life verses is Psalm 37:4 “Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”  That verse does not mean that God is some divine waiter – but when you make Him your first priority, He will change your heart and when He does that – what you want and think you need will also change. Sitting in a travel trailer might not be so bad!  He is all you need.  

(Philippians 4:11-13) “I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” CHARLEY  

No comments: