Monday, January 15, 2018

So You Are A Christian - Are You Living Like One?



We were buried with Him…that just as Christ was raised from the dead…even so we also should walk in newness of life. —Romans 6:4

{CHAMBERS} “No one experiences complete sanctification without going through […] the burial of the old life. If there has never been this crucial moment of change through death, sanctification will never be more than an elusive dream. […] Death means you stop being. You must agree with God and stop being the intensely striving kind of Christian you have been. […] Has there been a point in your life which you now mark as your last day? Is there a place in your life to which you go back in memory with humility and overwhelming gratitude […]Will you agree with Him that this is your last day on earth? The moment of agreement depends on you.”

{ELGIN} Can you say this about yourself without reservation? (Galatians 2:20)  “I …… I am crucified with Christ.” Your old nature and its desires are dead to you.  You no longer prefer what your culture or the lusts of your flesh say are right.  “Therefore it is no longer I who lives, but Christ in me.” When people see me, they see Jesus.  “And the life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loves me and gave Himself up for me.”  You live a life fully dependent upon God and according to His will, not your own.  You walk by faith and not by sight.  (2 Corinthians 5:17) “old things are passing away and all things are becoming new”  Is there a change in your life, more than the fact that you go to church on Sundays? 

I was talking to a Christian the other day,  During the course of our conversation, he began to say something in response to something I said.  But, he “caught the word” which was profane as it came out of his my and said that was not profane.  [I almost typed the second phrase but that would have caused you to think about the profane phrase]  (Ephesians 4:29) “Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.”  Does your speech reflect that which is good and brings glory to God  and encouragement to others, or does it reflect your culture?  Do you tolerate language in the media, TV and movies that you would never say yourself? Do you allow your kids to be exposed to it.  Would you not watch a movie or television program because they used profanity, promoted extra-marital sex, or some other activity that is clearly contrary to the Word of God?  If so, read this devotion again. 

Is your faith really the most important aspect of your life from which everything else springs? You know, but let me watch you for a few days and I can answer that question for you.  So can your family and the world my friend. Listen. the difference between criticism and encouragement is motive.  I am not being critical ... as Paul said .. I am the chief of sinners ... I, too, struggle with my flesh.  My motive is to encourage you to grasp the new life that you have in Christ and live it to its fullest potential.  You can do it.  I know you can through Christ who gives you strength.

No comments: