Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Making Time For God - There Is Nothing To It, But To Do It!



We all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image… —2 Corinthians 3:18

{CHAMBERS} “The greatest characteristic a Christian can exhibit is this completely unveiled openness before God, which allows that person’s life to become a mirror for others. When the Spirit fills us, we are transformed, and by beholding God we become mirrors. You can always tell when someone has been beholding the glory of the Lord, because your inner spirit senses that he mirrors the Lord’s own character. […] The most important rule for us is to concentrate on keeping our lives open to God. Let everything else including work, clothes, and food be set aside. […] Let other things come and go as they will; let other people criticize us as they will; but never allow anything to obscure the life that “is hidden with Christ in God” (Colossians 3:3). Never let a hurried lifestyle disturb the relationship of abiding in Him.”

{ELGIN}  When you run short on time .. and we all do on occasion .. what are some of the first things that you give up?  I typically get up between 4:00 and 4:30 am.  Why? Because if I don’t then I don’t get this BLOG written. I don’t spend time totally focused on the spiritual … establishing my day with a spiritual foundation.   I have to be deliberate about it. I hear people say, I got up late so I didn’t do  … whatever … maybe read the Bible … pray … or something simple like eat breakfast.  Our spiritual life is the most important aspect of our lives, at least that is what we tell people and ourselves, yet it is one of the first things that gets set aside when we are short on time.  If you get up late, the focus is on getting to work on time .. getting the kids up so they don’t miss the bus … the spiritual, at that point, is probably not even at issue because the natural so dominates our living and the urgency of the moment.

Look, with God there is not a “yes but …. “ there is only yes and no … I did or I didn’t … no excuses …. Jesus asked Peter ... “Do you love Me, Peter?”  … Three times….  (John 21:15-18) First, love like you love people in general, then love like you love family, and last love like God loves you  .. sacrificially.  Most Christians would answer like Peter … “You know I do Lord!”  That is the way we are to love God … then Jesus said to Peter .. “If you do, show me.”  (my paraphrase) The bottom line .. the cold hard facts …. The reason we don’t have time for God is that we don’t make time.  I know that is true for me and I suspect it is true for you too … and other Christians that you know.  So what to do … “straighten up and fly right” … love that saying!  Encourage the saints.  (1 Thessalonians 5:11)  “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.”  Encouragement is not judgement and it’s not criticism.  We all need to be encouraged in the Faith from time to time .. that is why the Bible says it!  That’s why I get up at 4:00 in the morning.  So there is nothing to it, but to do it. 

No comments: