Saturday, December 16, 2017

Living Our New Life In Christ Is A Struggle - It Takes Effort - Don't Quit!



Take up the whole armor of God…praying always… —Ephesians 6:13,18

{CHAMBERS} “You must learn to wrestle against the things that hinder your communication with God, and wrestle in prayer for other people; but to wrestle with God in prayer is unscriptural. If you ever do wrestle with God, you will be crippled for the rest of your life. If you grab hold of God and wrestle with Him, as Jacob did, simply because He is working in a way that doesn’t meet with your approval, you force Him to put you out of joint (see Genesis 32:24-25). Don’t become a cripple by wrestling with the ways of God, but be someone who wrestles before God with the things of this world, because “we are more than conquerors through Him…” (Romans 8:37). Wrestling before God makes an impact in His kingdom. If you ask me to pray for you, and I am not complete in Christ, my prayer accomplishes nothing. But if I am complete in Christ, my prayer brings victory all the time. Prayer is effective only when there is completeness— “take up the whole armor of God….””

{ELGIN}  Do you brush your teeth in the morning?  Seem like an odd way to start a devotion?  Brushing your teeth is a discipline.  So is getting up to go to work.  If you don’t do either one, there are negative consequences.  You value your teeth … and you value your source of income .. so you make yourself do those things.  After a while, they become more routine, but still …. You must choose to do them.  That is the same with prayer and obedience.  We must discipline ourselves to do them.  Our natural selves push back – or wrestle with our spiritual selves.  The message is – you are too busy to brush (pray) this morning … you can do that later … or I will just call in sick today … I don’t feel like going to work (doing the will of God) today.  Something I have noticed as I grow older … the speed at which my body atrophies …. Loses strength .. stamina … tone … is accelerating.  And the difficulty I have getting back to where I was.  If I slack off in any way, BOOM!  I am sliding down the steep slope of atrophy.  It’s the same with our spiritual life.  A life without spiritual discipline is a life of spiritual weakness.  The danger is .. you can become used to that condition and start to think that it is normal.  Well, it may be common, but it is far from “normal” if you are a Christian. I want to encourage you to get serious about your spiritual condition … God has called you to so much more than mediocrity in your faith walk.  I can encourage but the Spirit must convict your heart, if you need it.  This is a good time of the year to think about our new life in Christ.  Like Jesus, you have two natures.  You spiritual nature should be dominant.  Like Jesus, seek to do the Father’s will.  Like Jesus, stand against temptation with the Word of God.  Like Jesus, be disciplined to talk to the Father and look to Him.  Like Jesus bring Glory to God , the Father, through obedience and devotion.  Like Jesus …. Fulfill the purpose the Father has given you.  Let you light shine before all men. 

No comments: