Saturday, December 23, 2017

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas - And What Exactly Does That Look Like?



God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ… —Galatians 6:14

{CHAMBERS} “The gospel of Jesus Christ always forces a decision of our will. Have I accepted God’s verdict on sin as judged on the Cross of Christ? Do I have even the slightest interest in the death of Jesus? Do I want to be identified with His death— to be completely dead to all interest in sin, worldliness, and self? Do I long to be so closely identified with Jesus that I am of no value for anything except Him and His purposes? The great privilege of discipleship is that I can commit myself under the banner of His Cross, and that means death to sin. You must get alone with Jesus and either decide to tell Him that you do not want sin to die out in you, or that at any cost you want to be identified with His death. […] The proof that your old life is dead, having been “crucified with Christ” (Galatians 2:20), is the amazing ease with which the life of God in you now enables you to obey the voice of Jesus Christ.”

{ELGIN} How much do you want to be identified with Jesus?  I mean, what are you willing to give up?  Material things are not what I am talking about.  Your attachment to them is a reflection of something deeper.  They reflect your attachment … dependence upon … something other than God for your hope, peace and joy.  If your whole heart belongs to God (Matthew 22:37-39), then giving up any possession becomes trivial.  Christmas is upon us.  The celebration of the advent of the Messiah.  At least that is what it started out to be.  But the world has taken possession of it.  Now it is a season to satisfy the lust of our eyes, our flesh and to fill the coffers of the businesses.  Now it’s “joy to the world, the sales have come, let’s charge our credit to the max!”  We cannot serve two masters,  God and the world (Matthew 6:24).  God says you cannot .. the world says “Oh yes you can!”  Which one do you believe?  My purpose is not to send you on a guilt trip two days before Christmas. But I do want you to think about where your heart is?  What is your biggest concern today?  That you have not bought enough presents?  That someone will be unhappy?  Or that Jesus will not be forgotten in your home.  In the following verses notice that both groups asked Jesus the same question.  “When did we see you?”  If you are dead to sin and the flesh and alive toward Christ then your life will reflect that devotion.  The same is true if you are alive toward sin and the flesh and dead toward Christ.  Be careful my friend … it is so easy, especially in this culture, to choose poorly.  You won’t lose your salvation .. but you will miss God’s purpose.  That may not mean much to you now, but it will mean everything to you in eternity.

(Matthew 25:31- 46)  “When the Son of Man [Jesus] comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

“Then the King will say to those on his right [the sheep], ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

“Then he will say to those on his left [the goats], ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’ “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

No comments: