Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Only God Sees Your Heart, But Your Mouth Reveals Your Heart To Man



Those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart….For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. These are the things which defile a man… —Matthew 15:18-20

{CHAMBERS} “Initially we trust in our ignorance, calling it innocence, and next we trust our innocence, calling it purity. Then when we hear these strong statements from our Lord, we shrink back, saying, “But I never felt any of those awful things in my heart.” We resent what He reveals. Either Jesus Christ is the supreme authority on the human heart, or He is not worth paying any attention to. Am I prepared to trust the penetration of His Word into my heart, or would I prefer to trust my own “innocent ignorance”? If I will take an honest look at myself, becoming fully aware of my so-called innocence and putting it to the test, I am very likely to have a rude awakening that what Jesus Christ said is true, and I will be appalled at the possibilities of the evil and the wrong within me. But as long as I remain under the false security of my own “innocence,” I am living in a fool’s paradise. If I have never been an openly rude and abusive person, the only reason is my own cowardice coupled with the sense of protection I receive from living a civilized life. But when I am open and completely exposed before God, I find that Jesus Christ is right in His diagnosis of me.  The only thing that truly provides protection is the redemption of Jesus Christ. If I will simply hand myself over to Him, I will never have to experience the terrible possibilities that lie within my heart. Purity is something far too deep for me to arrive at naturally. But when the Holy Spirit comes into me, He brings into the center of my personal life the very Spirit that was exhibited in the life of Jesus Christ, namely, the Holy Spirit, which is absolute unblemished purity.”

{ELGIN}  Most days I will “mine” nuggets from My Utmost for His Highest to share and serve as a springboard for my devotional thoughts.  But some days, like today, there is nothing that I can take away, I must quote the whole.  I quote this verse so often.  I have made it a practice to listen more than I speak. And, if you listen long enough, you will hear the heart of the person speaking.  It usually takes more than one conversation, but eventually you will hear the heart.  Only God can see the heart of man.  We cannot.  The Word says (Jeremiah 17:9)  “The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?”  Indeed!  Isn’t that what most of us fear?  That someone people will find out who we “really” are!  Well …. Bondye knonnen … God knows … shouldn’t that cause us to tremble?  Yet somehow, we have taken that knowing and relegated to something small in the face of “man” discovering that we are fallible and are not quite so virtuous in our own right. But as the info-mercials say “Oh but wait there is more!”  Praise God, your righteousness is not based upon your works or personal effort to be holy.  It is found in Jesus Christ and Him alone. We live a charade hoping to deceive those around us, and sometimes we do, but for what end?  As born again children of God we are to live for His glory and not for the praise and acceptance of men (John 12:43).  We must lay our hearts on the altar.  And pray as David did …

(Psalm 51:1-12)  Have mercy upon me, O God, According to Your lovingkindness, According to the multitude of Your tender mercies, Blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, And cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions, And my sin is always before me. Against You, You only, have I sinned, And done this evil in Your sight— That You may be found just when You speak, And blameless when You judge. Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, And in sin my mother conceived me. Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts, And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me hear joy and gladness, That the bones You have broken may rejoice. Hide Your face from my sins, And blot out all my iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.”

Do it today. Amen?

No comments: