Saturday, January 21, 2017

The Secret To A Long Relationship

My Utmost For His Highest

Thus says the Lord: "I remember…the kindness of your youth…" —Jeremiah 2:2

{CHAMBERS}  “God is saying to His people, “You are not in love with Me now, but I remember a time when you were.” He says, “I remember…the love of your betrothal…” (Jeremiah 2:2). Am I as filled to overflowing with love for Jesus Christ as I was in the beginning, when I went out of my way to prove my devotion to Him? Does He ever find me pondering the time when I cared only for Him? Is that where I am now, or have I chosen man’s wisdom over true love for Him? Am I so in love with Him that I take no thought for where He might lead me? Or am I watching to see how much respect I get as I measure how much service I should give Him? As I recall what God remembers about me, I may also begin to realize that He is not what He used to be to me. When this happens, I should allow the shame and humiliation it creates in my life, because it will bring godly sorrow, and “godly sorrow produces repentance…” (2 Corinthians 7:10).”

{ELGIN}  Tomorrow Martie and I celebrate 45 years of marriage.  41 of those years we have been Christians.  I love my wife more deeply today than I did on our wedding day.  On that day I knew I loved her, but only after I shared life with her did I know the depth and breadth of that love.  I believe that God intended the union of a man and a women to reflect the union between man and God. On the day of our salvation we are so emotionally committed to the Lord.  Over time, as we experienced life, our understanding grew.  Where we once were willing to go anywhere and do anything to please Him, we may find that there are certain things that we don’t want to give up.  Or perhaps can’t seem to give up.  Or perhaps we find ourselves in a place where we are living in the same house but leading different lives.  Still married, but not.  The flame that once burned brightly is a mere flicker, or worse, has gone out. The love that once motivated us has lost its shine. Being married for as long as we have is an anomaly in our culture.  God intended it to be the standard not the exception.  But our relationship is so much more than occupying the same space, whether it’s a home or a church.  Our marriage should be a beacon of light not a flickering flame.  A testimony to the glory of God. And so should our love for Him.  Rick Warren wrote in his book, Purpose Driven Life, “It’s not about me.” My wife (Ephesians 5:25) or my God (Romans 12:1-2), it applies to both and is the secret to the longevity and richness our relationship.

No comments: