Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Surprised By Faith - When God Shows Up



When it pleased God…to reveal His Son in me… —Galatians 1:15-16

{CHAMBERS} “The call of God is not a call to serve Him in any particular way. My contact with the nature of God will shape my understanding of His call and will help me realize what I truly desire to do for Him. The call of God is an expression of His nature; the service which results in my life is suited to me and is an expression of my nature. […] Service is the overflow which pours from a life filled with love and devotion. But strictly speaking, there is no call to that. Service is what I bring to the relationship and is the reflection of my identification with the nature of God. Service becomes a natural part of my life. […] The Son of God reveals Himself in me, and out of devotion to Him service becomes my everyday way of life.”

{ELGIN} Martie and I recently had lunch with a young woman who wanted to know about ministry in Haiti.  She is a teacher and has summers free.  There are any number of things that a teacher can do to fill up their summers, but serving in a third world country is probably not very high on the list for most of them.  We had planned to go to a particular restaurant, but when we arrived, after church, we found it packed and very noisy, so we went to another restaurant.  I dropped Martie and the twins off at the door and parked the car.  As I walked back, she caught up with me.  Approaching the sidewalk I met a pastor friend and his wife who goes to Haiti frequently.  The young woman had asked if there were any opportunities in June.  My friend told us that he was taking a team to Ans du Clerc in June.  His wife added that they needed another woman on the team.  The woman we were meeting with looked at me in amazement.  I told her, “This sort of thing happens to us all the time.”

As Martie and I talked to her during lunch, I could see the “fire” in her eyes.  The fire that is kindled by the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer who says “yes” to God.  I connected her with my pastor friend and encouraged her to let God lead her. (Proverbs 16:9) “Men make plans in their hearts, but God orders their steps.”  I told her this is about faith and trust, not about knowing where the next step will lead.  Having confidence that God has us in His grip and wherever He leads her it will be for His glory and her good.  And so it is for you too.  He is the Potter and we are the clay.  Let God mold you into the vessel of service that He planned from the foundation of creation.  Hard to imagine?  You know it’s true! (Ephesians 2:10)

No comments: