Tuesday, October 25, 2016

If Contentment Seems Out Of Reach, You Are Not Close Enough To Jesus

My Utmost For His Highest
 
I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. —1 Corinthians 9:22
 
“A Christian worker has to learn how to be God’s man or woman of great worth and excellence in the midst of a multitude of meager and worthless things. Never protest by saying, “If only I were somewhere else!” All of God’s people are ordinary people who have been made extraordinary by the purpose He has given them. […] “I chose you…” (John 15:16). Keep these words as a wonderful reminder in your theology. It is not that you have gotten God, but that He has gotten you. God is at work bending, breaking, molding, and doing exactly as He chooses. And why is He doing it? He is doing it for only one purpose— that He may be able to say, “This is My man, and this is My woman.” We have to be in God’s hand so that He can place others on the Rock, Jesus Christ, just as He has placed us.” CHAMBERS
 
Ugh! Do you mean that where I am – what I am doing – is within the sovereignty of God? That He can accomplish His purpose through me even though I think there might be a better place for me to be or a better thing for me to be doing? Yes!  When I start thinking there must become mistake, I could be much more useful f I was someplace else doing something else, I have shifted focus off of God and have returned my focus to myself. Instead of praying “Lord use me for Your glory.”, I am praying “Lord get me out of here!”  Something wrong with that picture.  It’s strange that I find it much easier to let God use me in a very hard place, like a disaster area, than a comfortable place  like I find myself in now.  In Philippians 4:11-13, Paul wrote “ I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him (Christ) who gives me strength.” Lasting contentment experienced no matter what the situation is a spiritual condition, not a natural one.  It starts in the heart.  If someone is not content in Christ, it doesn’t matter how much money they have, how many possessions they have … natural contentment is elusive .. just out of reach … supernatural contentment is as close to you as Jesus is.  ELGIN

No comments: