Monday, August 22, 2016

You Cannot Live Your New Life On Your Own

My Utmost For His Highest
 
I indeed baptize you with water…but He…will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. —Matthew 3:11
 
“Jesus cannot come and do His work in me as long as there is anything blocking the way, whether it is something good or bad. When He comes to me, am I prepared for Him to drag every wrong thing I have ever done into the light? […] When I repent, I realize that I am absolutely helpless, and I know that through and through I am not worthy even to carry His sandals. Have I repented like that, or do I have a lingering thought of possibly trying to defend my actions? The reason God cannot come into my life is that I am not at the point of complete repentance.”  CHAMBERS
 
When John the Baptist was baptizing people in the Jordan River, it was a baptism of repentance.  The people had a desire to turn from their sins and draw close to God.  But that baptism did not bring salvation. It was not permanent. Baptize means to be identified with.  When we are baptized by the Holy Spirit we are identified with Jesus.   (John 14:16-17) “I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever;  that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.”  The Spirit was part of God’s plan.  Something happened in the Garden, the spiritual nature in man, died.  To be properly restored to God, there needed to be a sacrifice and there needed to be a Spiritual rebirth, a restoration if you will.  While we walk this earth, we need the Spirit in us to maintain spiritual life which enables us to connect spiritually with God.  By the Spirit, through the Son.  On the day of salvation, we are sealed by the Spirit.  (Ephesians 1:13-14) “In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God’s own possession, to the praise of His glory.”
 
When Nicodemus came to Jesus seeking answers about eternal life, what did Jesus say to him?   (John 3:5-6) “Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”   Christian, do you understand what an amazing thing happened to you when you were born again?  What was broken in the Garden by Adam, was restored on the cross by Jesus, established by faith and sealed through the Spirit. Oh that we would live each day with an awareness of our new life.  Don’t be content with living the way you formerly did before Jesus. You have been saved to a much greater life.  But you can only live it successfully by the power of the Spirit in you.  He is our Helper.  Why would God give us a Helper?  Because we need one.  Stop trying to live your new life on your own.  You were never intended to.  It’s an impossibility.  CHARLEY

No comments: