Tuesday, March 15, 2016

What To Do When Doubts And Fear Come Knocking

My Utmost For His Highest
 
As they followed they were afraid. —Mark 10:32
 
“At the beginning of our life with Jesus Christ, we were sure we knew all there was to know about following Him. It was a delight to forsake everything else and to throw ourselves before Him in a fearless statement of love. But now we are not quite so sure. Jesus is far ahead of us and is beginning to seem different and unfamiliar— “Jesus was going before them; and they were amazed” (Mark 10:32).[…] The discipline of dismay is an essential lesson which a disciple must learn. The danger is that we tend to look back on our times of obedience and on our past sacrifices to God in an effort to keep our enthusiasm for Him strong (see Isaiah 50:10-11). But when the darkness of dismay comes, endure until it is over, because out of it will come the ability to follow Jesus truly, which brings inexpressibly wonderful joy.”  CHAMBERS
 
Have you ever wondered about your salvation.  You consider your life .. your spiritual failures .. and wonder .. is this faith of mine real?  Did it take?  Am I just kidding myself?  Doubts … fears … uncertainty … it’s all part of the journey.  Take time to look back over your life.  Those times when you were the most uncertain … they have lost their clarity … only a vague memory remains.  The fact that you had those thoughts is proof in itself.  If you were not a Christian, it wouldn’t matter to you.  That is not to say that you should just “blow off” sin.  Of course you should be mindful of it … and you must address it with the Lord, but once confessed and forgiven, move on. If you are later convicted of it, please know that the conviction of sin forgiven comes from the accuser of the Brethren (Revelation 12:10) – Satan.  You, my friend, need to stand on the promises of God. You've got to say, "I hear you knocking, but you can't come in!"  ELGIN
 
“Standing On The Promises”
 
Standing on the promises of Christ my King, Through eternal ages let His praises ring, Glory in the highest, I will shout and sing, Standing on the promises of God.
 
Standing on the promises that cannot fail, When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail, By the living Word of God I shall prevail, Standing on the promises of God.
 
Standing on the promises I now can see Perfect, present cleansing in the blood for me; Standing in the liberty where Christ makes free, Standing on the promises of God.
 
Standing on the promises of Christ the Lord, Bound to Him eternally by love’s strong cord, Overcoming daily with the Spirit’s sword, Standing on the promises of God.
 
Standing on the promises I shall not fall, List’ning every moment to the Spirit’s call. Resting in my Savior as my All in all,   Standing on the promises of God.
 
Standing, standing, Standing on the promises of God my Savior; Standing, standing,   I’m standing on the promises of God.
 
Charley Elgin

No comments: