Friday, March 4, 2016

Trusting Him WIth Tomorrow While We Touch Today

My Utmost For His Highest
 
None of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself… —Acts 20:24
 
“This verse shows an almost noble annoyance by Paul at being asked to consider himself. He was absolutely indifferent to any consideration other than that of fulfilling the ministry he had received. Our ordinary and reasonable service to God may actually compete against our total surrender to Him. Our reasonable work is based on the following argument which we say to ourselves, “Remember how useful you are here, and think how much value you would be in that particular type of work.” That attitude chooses our own judgment, instead of Jesus Christ, to be our guide as to where we should go and where we could be used the most. Never consider whether or not you are of use— but always consider that “you are not your own” (1 Corinthians 6:19). You are His.”  CHAMBERS
 
I recently heard a quote that describes my life .. “Touch today the tomorrow you will never see.”  At first it made little sense to me until I thought of it in terms of my life.  The many things the Lord has had me do, I was preparing the way.  Plowing the field.  Planting the seeds.  But very seldom did I ever get to see the harvest.  It bothers me at times, just because I wanted to know that my sacrifices were not in vain.  But that thinking is self-centered not God-centered.  God wants our unqualified obedience.  Faith is about what is “hoped for”  about what is “not seen”.  Our culture is concerned about getting a return on our investments.  We want to see results.  We measure, when it’s God who has poured it out.  We count when it’s God who has brought the increase.  We take credit … when it’s God who deserves all the credit.  Like Paul, we need to live life abandoned to God.  Walking in obedience … walking by faith not by sight. (2 Corinthians 5:7).  Trusting Him with the tomorrow while we obediently touch today.  ELGIN
 
Knowing You Jesus”  Graham Kendrick
 
“All I once held dear, built my life upon,  All this world reveres, and wars to own,  All I once thought gain I have counted loss,  Spent and worthless now, compared to this
 
Now my heart's desire is to know you more,  To be found in you and known as yours,  To possess by faith what I could not earn,  All-surpassing gift of righteousness
 
Oh, to know the power of your risen life,  And to know You in Your sufferings,  To become like you in your death, my Lord,  So with you to live and never die
 
Knowing you, Jesus,  Knowing you, there is no greater thing,  You're my all, you're the best,  You're my joy, my righteousness,  And I love you, Lord”
 
Charley Elgin

No comments: