Wednesday, February 10, 2016

When Did You Last Clean Your Glasses?

My Utmost For His Highest
 
Lift up your eyes on high, and see who has created these things… —Isaiah 40:26
 
The people of God in Isaiah’s time had blinded their minds’ ability to see God by looking on the face of idols. […] The real test of spiritual focus is being able to bring your mind and thoughts under control. Is your mind focused on the face of an idol? Is the idol yourself? Is it your work? Is it your idea of what a servant should be, or maybe your experience of salvation and sanctification? If so, then your ability to see God is blinded. You will be powerless when faced with difficulties and will be forced to endure in darkness. If your power to see has been blinded, don’t look back on your own experiences, but look to God. It is God you need.“  CHAMBERS
 
We must be careful that we don’t accept a form of godliness in the place of true godliness.  One of the things that Martie must constantly remind me of is to clean my glasses.  I really don’t remember smudging them with my fingers, but by the evidence of my fingerprints on the lenses, I do, and frequently apparently. So I clean my glasses and viola, I can see clearly.  Well, in a similar way, our lives become smudged in the course of our living with the fingerprints of the world and sin. So we no longer see clearly.  The funny thing about my glasses, my eyes adjust to the smudges, and I don’t realize that I am having a harder time seeing.  It takes someone else to make me aware that my glasses are dirty.  And so it is with life.  We adjust and accept something that is not spiritually normal as normal.  Until we are reminded that “our glasses need to be cleaned” by another saint or better yet, by the Holy Spirit and the Word. 
 
So accept this as a reminder.  Oh, I must add that I don’t always want to clean my glasses when I am reminded.  My flesh rises up in resistance to be told there is something wrong .. crazy isn’t it.  Why would I not want to accept help to be better?  The answer lies in my old, sinful nature.  (Psalm 119:105) (KJV)  “Thy Word is a light unto my path, and a lamp unto my feet”  My encouragement to you is .. check your glasses … as a reminder to me, I have placed a cleaning cloth next to my computer so each morning before I begin the day, I clean my glasses.  Start your day with clean glasses and a clean heart.  And see where the path leads you.  ELGIN
 
Charley Elgin

No comments: