Friday, February 19, 2016

Serving Others And Serving God - Just Like Jesus

My Utmost For His Highest
 
Arise, shine… —Isaiah 60:1
 
“Drudgery is one of the finest tests to determine the genuineness of our character. Drudgery is work that is far removed from anything we think of as ideal work. It is the utterly hard, menial, tiresome, and dirty work. And when we experience it, our spirituality is instantly tested and we will know whether or not we are spiritually genuine. Read John 13. In this chapter, we see the Incarnate God performing the greatest example of drudgery— washing fishermen’s feet. He then says to them, “If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet” (John 13:14). The inspiration of God is required if drudgery is to shine with the light of God upon it. In some cases the way a person does a task makes that work sanctified and holy forever. It may be a very common everyday task, but after we have seen it done, it becomes different. When the Lord does something through us, He always transforms it. Our Lord takes our human flesh and transforms it, and now every believer’s body has become “the temple of the Holy Spirit” (1 Corinthians 6:19).” CHAMBERS
 
“The Practice Of The Presence Of God” is a book of collected teachings of Brother Lawrence (born Nicholas Herman), a 17th-century Carmelite monk.  Brother Lawrence was uneducated but well respected for his devotion to God and man.  One thing that he preferred not to do was work in the kitchen.  He worked in the kitchen of the monastery for over 15 years.  During that time, he influenced the lives of many people both within and outside of the monastery.  His day to day life was drudgery, but his faith shined brightly as he practiced the presence of God.  When we find ourselves in a difficult or unpleasant situation, our tendency is to behave as though we have been abandoned .. that somehow, God has “left for the day”, and we must suffer on our own.  Poor us!  The truth is that God is with us all the time.  It is just that we choose to focus on ourselves and our circumstances.  Confession.  Right now I am working as a computer engineer for the Air Force.  Something  that I don’t particularly care for.  My heart is elsewhere … my joy is in serving not sitting in a cubicle.  God has me “in the kitchen”.  The question is, will I be faithful “peeling potatoes” and will I let the light of Christ shine in my life?  Or will I complain about the fact that I am in a place other than my choosing?  The answer lies in what I choose to focus on.  You see, it doesn’t really matter where you serve.  What matters is how you serve.  Brother Lawrence was focused on serving others by serving God.  Just like Jesus.  If my focus is on the Father, then what I do for a living and where I do it, is really of no consequence.  No matter where I find myself, I must practice the presence of God.  Keep my focus on Him.  (Philippians 4:11-13) “…. I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”  When we lose our spiritual focus, discouragement creeps in.  When we become discouraged, we move farther away from God, not closer.  It is a dangerous place to be.  I have experienced some amazing things in my life.  Spiritually significant things.  But nothing more significant than my own salvation.  No matter what you face .. where you find yourself … you are sealed by the Spirit of God … there is a song the children at the orphanage in Jacmel would sing .. “Bondye pa bliye mwen, li konnen non’m”  God has not forgotten me.  He knows my name.  Something to keep in mind.  ELGIN
 
Charley Elgin

No comments: