Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Reason We Serve Others

My Utmost For His Highest
 
Paul’s idea of service was to pour his life out to the last drop for others. And whether he received praise or blame made no difference. As long as there was one human being who did not know Jesus, Paul felt a debt of service to that person until he did come to know Him. But the chief motivation behind Paul’s service was not love for others but love for his Lord. If our devotion is to the cause of humanity, we will be quickly defeated and broken-hearted, since we will often be confronted with a great deal of ingratitude from other people. But if we are motivated by our love for God, no amount of ingratitude will be able to hinder us from serving one another.’ CHAMBERS
 
What is the condition for doing something for someone else?  That they appreciate it?  That they show gratitude?  You sacrifice your time, your effort, your money even; and do they even say thank you .. No! .. they just want more.  Don’t they deserve to get nothing?  Seems reasonable .. justifiable … you will find a whole crowd of people who will back you up on that.  Unfortunately, Jesus is not in that crowd.
 
Serving others cannot be conditioned upon how they respond to you .. but on how you respond to God. I know that I can’t help everyone .. but those I do help, I help because God has brought them to me .. Yes, but what if they abuse your help .. take advantage of it?  The question is not what they do with the what you give them .. but did God prompt you to help them.  When we look at people do we look at them with our natural or spiritual vision?  If we use our natural vision .. we will be decide if we think they are worthy of help … often based upon what they look like, what they say, or what they are doing … but if we use our spiritual vision … we will see the heart .. and hear God.
 
I have many people talk to me about guarding my time, not doing too much … for my benefit … but the fact of the matter is that if I was concerned about my benefit, I would not be in Haiti at all .. I would be relaxing on a lake fishing .. or sitting on a porch swing next to the love of my life .. reading book … or just enjoying the day.  But that is not what God has called me to.  He has called me to serve.  He brings the opportunities for serving to me .. I don’t have to look for them.
 
I am not serving to somehow gain God’s approval .. I am serving because Jesus is my example .. He is the Vine and I am the branch … and loving others is His command … How about you?
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: