Monday, September 10, 2012

Take Your Boots Off

My Utmost For His Highest

'Are you saying, “But I can’t be expected to live a sanctified life in my present circumstances; I have no time for prayer or Bible study right now; besides, my opportunity for [spiritual] battle hasn’t come yet, but when it does, of course I will be ready”? No, you will not. If you have not been worshiping in everyday occasions, when you get involved in God’s work, you will not only be useless yourself but also a hindrance to those around you.
God’s training ground, where the missionary weapons are found, is the hidden, personal, worshiping life of the saint.' CHAMBERS

Private worship, as contrasted to corporate worship (going to church) is the key to developing as a Christian.  It is a recurring theme ... It's like being told to take your shoes off before you come in the house.  When I come back to the house here in Haiti, I come back with every where I have been that day on my boots.  I am tired or distracted and walk right into the house.  Often times, Malita, the housekeeper, will look at my boots then at me .... she will give me the 'look'.  If you are a guy and are married, you know the 'look'.  You know immediately that you have just messed up.  Now why can't I remember to take my boots off?  For much the same reason that I forget to pray or read the Word ... the affairs of the day .. of the world have crowded those thoughts out of my mind.  
Make it your practice to start your day with Jesus.  Fernando Ortega sings a song that goes "in the morning when I rise, in the morning when I rise, in the morning when I rise give me Jesus. And when I am alone, and when I am alone, and when I am alone, give me Jesus .. You can have all this world .. give me Jesus"  
Make that your song  ... make it your practice ... spend time with the Lord in His Word, in prayer, in praise, in song .... Take those boots off!  and let your light shine ....

Bondye Beni Nou

No comments: