Friday, January 27, 2012

The Song of the Sirens

MUFHH

‘A warning which needs to be repeated is that “the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches,” and the lust for other things, will choke out the life of God in us (Matthew 13:22). We are never free from the recurring waves of this invasion. If the frontline of attack is not about clothes and food, it may be about money or the lack of money; or friends or lack of friends; or the line may be drawn over difficult circumstances. It is one steady invasion, and these things will come in like a flood, unless we allow the Spirit of God to raise up the banner against it. “I say to you, do not worry about your life . . . .” Our Lord says to be careful only about one thing-our relationship to Him. But our common sense shouts loudly and says, “That is absurd, I must consider how I am going to live, and I must consider what I am going to eat and drink.” Jesus says you must not. Beware of allowing yourself to think that He says this while not understanding your circumstances. Jesus Christ knows our circumstances better than we do, and He says we must not think about these things to the point where they become the primary concern of our life. Whenever there are competing concerns in your life, be sure you always put your relationship to God first.’ CHAMBERS

If you find yourself far from God, it is most likely for this reason …. It is subtle … It is reasonable … it makes sense … virtually everyone is doing the same thing … The things of the world are like the ‘Sirens’  (In Greek mythology, the Sirens were dangerous creatures, portrayed as seductresses who lured nearby sailors with their enchanting music and voices to shipwreck on the rocky coast of their island.) The call is nearly irresistible … it speaks to your ‘natural’ desires …


(James 1:14-17)

 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.


(1 John 2:15-17)

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.
 

The classic commercial is “It’s my money and I want it now!”  Our flesh is demanding .. like the Sirens, it calls us to take great risks that most often lead to more trouble, not less … Get a title loan that you will never be able to pay back … Whatever the temptation, we must resist ..
 

In the Odyssey, the Sirens sing a song so irresistible that none can hear it and escape. Circe warned Odysseus of the danger and told him how to avoid it.   So Odysseus lashed himself to the mast of the ship and the crew plugged their ears. 

We must do the same by lashing ourselves to the Cross ..


Our Daily Bread

 (Psalms 18:30-36)
 
As for God, His way is perfect; The word of the LORD is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. For who is God, except the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God? It is God who arms me with strength, And makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of deer, And sets me on my high places. He teaches my hands to make war, So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You have also given me the shield of Your salvation; Your right hand has held me up, Your gentleness has made me great. You enlarged my path under me, So my feet did not slip.
 

“Rock of ages, cleft for me,

 Let me hide myself in Thee;

 Let the water and the blood,

 From Thy wounded side which flowed,

 Be of sin the double cure,

 Save from wrath and make me pure.

Think of your struggles. Do you need a place to hide? Do you need Someone to shelter you from life’s assaults? Do you need the assurance that you’ve been forgiven? As (the write of the song “Rock of Ages”)  experienced, we can find shelter and assurance in God.  Don’t stand out in life’s storms alone. Seek God’s shelter. Ask Him to protect you. Make sure you have received His forgiveness. Get close to the Rock of Ages. It’s life’s safest spot.” ODB


I often find that these two devotions – My Utmost for His Highest and Our Daily Bread – contain a thread of spiritual truth between them on any particular day.  I don’t think it is man’s intention, but God’s design.   


Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: