Friday, April 14, 2023

Losing Your B

"Brethren, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature be thus minded; and if in anything you are otherwise minded, God will reveal that also to you." - Philippians 3:13-15

Martie told me that she read on Facebook someone posted, "I used to be bold, but I lost my 'B'!" I learned a saying when I was in the Army. It went something like this .... "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old-bold pilots." (Well very few) While I am at it - another one is "I would rather but down here wishing I was up there, than up there wishing I was down here!" The second one has nothing to do with this devotion :)

The thought of losing my "B" got me cranked up. I have observed that the organized church - Evangelical churches anyway,  have decided that with respect to activities in the church, including the worship service - where there are contemporary and tradition services, people's activities at the church should be grouped by age. The worship service is not a spectator sport. You did not assemble to be entertained but to be refreshed spiritually in a corporate setting.

"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching." - Hebrews 10:24-25

Most often, if you want to participate in a Bible class on Sunday morning - you are relegated to those classes that are populated with people "your age". That makes sense to someone trying to organize things - naturally, but to me, it makes no sense spiritually. It sends a strong message to those who may feel they have lost or are losing their "B". The message? "You have nothing to contribute to people younger than you are." Not on Sunday morning anyway. 

Does that seem too harsh? I don't think so. And if you have grown up in that setting - it may seem a normal progression.  It's like advancing the youth from one grade to the next higher grade at the end of the year. Of, you are 13, then that means you must be in the 8th grade. The criteria for studying the Bible together is age based and not directly spiritually based. What concerns me is the message that is sent to the over 55 crowd and the rest of the church for that matter. After 55 Christians are not really part of the main effort in the church. And so, the enticement is to pull back - be content with the season of life you are in. Keep any wisdom you might have gained to yourself and your fellow 55 plusers (made that word up).

Frankly, I don't think that is Biblical. My point is that until we see Jesus face to face - we are to continue to press forward - to fulfill our ministry - age is just a number.

"Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry." - 2 Timothy 4:2-5

God's retirement plan is eternity in heaven - not doing things you used to do on the weekend on what used to be a workday. There is much more to be said and many reasons why people should group by age but that will have to keep.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: