Tuesday, March 29, 2022

A Foreigner By Faith

"Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you. Nevertheless, to the degree that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us be of the same mind. Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have us for a pattern. For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame—who set their mind on earthly things. For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself." -  Philippians 3:13-21

I am certain that what is happening in the Ukraine has not escaped your attention. A country divided by language, culture and national affiliation and now by an invading army. There are many Ukrainians, it seems, that feel closer to Russia than the Ukraine while most others feel closer to the Ukraine than to Russia.  It is hard to imagine the struggle those people are facing. It reminds me of Christians living in this world. I do not pretend to understand all that churns in the hearts of those people, but I do know full well the struggle that churns in my own heart.

As a Christian, I find myself in a struggle of mixed devotions. A man born with feet of clay, drawn to the culture, by nature, but with a heart given by faith to Jesus. From the moment that I was born again, I became part of the kingdom of God. Even though I live in this country, with all of its good, not so good, not so bad and bad, my citizenship is elsewhere. A foreigner by faith in the land that I love. 

"Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation. Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God." - 2 Corinthians 5:16-20

As Christians, citizens of heaven - ambassadors for Christ - we are to be devoted to living lives apart from the culture that surrounds us. Committed to being salt and light among a people who like neither salt nor light. I find myself constantly resisting the temptation to join in with a culture that rejects the Truth of God and prefers darkness to light - preferring man's imaginations and not God's revealed will in creation. There are some of us that like the life and that affection has compromised our commitment to the One who saved us and called us to the light. We want both, but God says we must choose.

"For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame—who set their mind on earthly things."

There will come a time when there will be but two groups, actually that has always been the case come to think of it,  - the sheep and the goats. One day, Jesus will sort them out. I do not presume to know the heart of man - only God does. I do know that some who call out the name of Jesus and it not be an expletive, do not really know Him as Lord. Then again, some do and still yield their hearts and minds to the world.

"Many will say to Me [Jesus] in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’" - Matthew 7:22-23

What about you?  Where do your devotions and loyalties lie? It is a truth known but to you and God. Though we can have a glimpse of what is in the hearts of others, evidenced by the Spiritual fruit or lack of it. 

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: