Thursday, October 28, 2021

What To Say When God Changes Course In Your Life

We walk by faith and not by sight.” –  2 Corinthians 5:7

 

I am certain you have heard it or read it. Any idea what it means? I guess we should look at the substance of faith to gain some perspective … Faith is a supernatural trust in things hoped for … and confidence in things not seen (Hebrews 11:1)  When you apply faith to how you live your life, it is no longer a platitude or something that happens to somebody else. It gets personal. You think you are on one course, you commit to where you are and what you are doing and then, the Captain of the ship says,  “Heading to 270 degrees (West)! full steam ahead”  What!  That is not in “your” plan.  You had your course charted out … travelling on a course of 090 degrees (East) … you are comfortable with it .. and maybe at some point you would just sit at anchor for a while.  Confusion or doubt may overcome you at that point, because we don’t understand the why or how or don’t we want to understand. Or maybe I misunderstood the order .. or maybe the Captain wants me to go in that direction next week .. you know, later, when it is more convenient for everyone.  When I can afford it financially or when it won’t inconvenience anyone.  It’s the common temptation to choose what is humanly reasonable over what we are spiritually responsible to do. The temptation to say “no” to God and want to follow our own plan is common.  I have seen it in my own life and in the lives of many other Christians who receive orders to change course.

Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.”  – 1 Corinthians 10:13

I am writing about a radical faith … not a misdirected one.  The world will tell you that you are misdirected if what you do does not make any sense to them.  If they can think of another way to do something that is less intrusive on others.  When God speaks, you must obey . .even in the face of the opposition of human convention. You might be thinking .. what does this have to do with me?  God has not asked me to go to Africa, or even Florida to help the people there.  Maybe not.  But He has asked you to change the course of your life.  To go in a new direction.  To obey His commands.  And what might those be?  To love Him above all, to love others, to abandon your devotion to the things of this world. (Matthew 22:37-39) To lay your life down. (Romans 12:1-2)  Pick up your cross daily and follow Jesus.  (Luke 9:23) So how is that going for you?  My wife and I are living what I call the “extreme” Christian life.  In the past 18 years we have done things in response to God’s redirection that frankly make people thankful they are not us.  Few are called to follow the course that He has set for us.  I do not say that pridefully.  We have said “Yes Lord to Your will and to Your way” and moved out smartly.  He has been the source of our strength ..the provider of what we needed it when we needed it.  He is the Captain and we are part of the crew.  He will do the same in your life but perhaps in a different context, if you will only say “yes” and then step out in faith.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with your being right where you are so long as God has put you  there and your are faithful to obeying His orders.  Are you?  Then rejoice and praise the Lord! And if not .. repent!.”

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” – Jeremiah 29:11-13

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: