Thursday, August 12, 2021

Synchronizing Reputation and Character

 “ ... But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ. For you have heard of my former conduct in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it. And I advanced in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries in my own nation, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of my fathers. But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles...” — Galatians 1:11-16

Reputation and character, what is the difference? Reputation is what people know about your actions before men. We very often behave in ways with the goal of impressing others and winning their favor. Character on the other hand is born out of the heart. It may well be that our actions and the way we treat others, which establishes our reputation may be rooted in our character. But it might be that, like the Pharisees, we are ‘white washed tombs filled with dead men’s bones’.  Paul was writing to the Galatians telling them that what they knew about him – his reputation – had indeed reflected his character, but God had called him through His grace and Paul was born again. Once Paul had a heart of stone and now he had a heart of flesh. (Ezekiel 36:26)

“ …. Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;.” – 2 Corinthians 5:17-18

There are a lot of reasons for there to be a disconnect between who people think we are and who we are when they are not around. I reflect on my own life and figure it can’t be all that different from the lives of other people. I call it my silent struggle, It is a struggle to overcome the negative influences in my life that have shaped attitudes and behaviors that must be submitted to God to be overcome. Just because I am born again does not mean that there are not struggles that I face. Temptations – old habits to overcome.  2 Corinthians 5:17 is about the synchronization of my character with my reputation.  It requires me to lay my life down daily before God. There is a term, “fire and forget” which refers to laser guided munitions.  I can fire a missile at a target from a helicopter, for example, and then not track it to impact – someone else does that.  Wouldn’t it be great if we could do that with our lives. Born and again and sin free. 

Let’s consider “sin free” for a moment.  We will never be sin free on this planet but we are free from the bondage and penalty of sin for eternity at the point of our conversions.  That does not mean that we are free to sin. That it doesn’t matter. The fact that we all sin – I am referring to Christians – is not a secret – read the Bible!  The question is what we do with that sin. Our character and our reputation among men will never be perfectly synchronized during this life – but that doe not mean that we cannot be light and salt – a reflection of Jesus to a lost world – in our work place – with our families and friends. If you want to know what a man is really like – ask if wife and children – who, if they are honest and are not trying to protect his reputation will tell you about his character.  I have quoted this before but it bears repeating.

I am not the man I ought to be, I am not the man I wish to be, and I am not the man I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not the man I used to be.” —John Newton, author of the words to the hymn “Amazing Grace”

And to that I say “Amen!” How about you?

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: