Thursday, July 15, 2021

There Is A Time For Everything

To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven….. — Ecclesiastes 3:1

Time has been weighing heavy on my mind of late. As I get “longer in the tooth” I wonder what waits for me around the next bend in the road that I travel. What happens after the next tick of the clock.  Am I to be like so many dusty books sitting on a neglected shelf – filled with information – but no longer considered valuable.  It is a transition in life – life is full of transitions.  Martie and I were talking about that very thing this morning and then she shared Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 with me.  She pointed out there is not a verse that says there is a time to retire – but, I might add, there is one for a time to die. 

So what is my point? If you have stopped serving – it is by choice not by design. There are opportunities to exercise your spiritual gifts if your heart and spiritual eyes are open.  The manner in which you exercise those gifts may change – but you are still in the race – if you choose to be. I have said, tongue in cheek, that I refuse to get on a bus with a bunch of “old people” to take a trip to Branson, Missouri.  To become an observer and not a participant.  I remember being contacted by a pastor while we were serving in Mississippi after Katrina. He said that he took the “seniors” on an excursion, an adventure, once a month and wanted to bring them to Waveland. They arrived in a 40 passenger tour bus.  The pastor got off the bus and I said, “You know when they get back on the bus they will be dirty, right?” He had not thought that through so he asked if we could ride around the disaster area and I could explain what had happened.  I did but resolved that I would never do that again – Destroyed homes and uprooted families are not a tourist attraction – or a curiosity and photo opportunity. Maybe that is why I have an aversion to bus rides.

Your usefulness to the Kingdom does not end when you qualify for Social Security. Your earthly value will end when the Lord calls you home – but not until then.  Organized church practice is to group Christians by age. To move older Christians aside to make room for younger ones.  That may work for the culture – but not for the Body of Christ.  There is so much wisdom that has been put on the shelf to gather dust.

The silver-haired head is a crown of glory, If it is found in the way of righteousness.” – Proverbs 16:31

When you see an older person – maybe looking in the mirror – do you see a crown of glory – a fountain of spiritual wisdom – or merely someone who has run their course – ready to be put out to pasture. 

The glory of young men is their strength, And the splendor of old men (and women) is their gray head.” – Proverbs 20:29

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: