Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Yet I Will Rejoice

Though the fig tree may not blossom, Nor fruit be on the vines; Though the labor of the olive may fail, And the fields yield no food; Though the flock may be cut off from the fold, And there be no herd in the stalls— Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength; He will make my feet like deer’s feet, And He will make me walk on my high hills.” – Habakkuk 3:17-19

This was written when the Babylonians were about to take Israel captive. Not good.  God did not save them from it. Instead they had to live through it.  A little reminiscent of Job’s attitude of “though He slay me yet will I serve Him.”  A great deal is being written about not fearing because of COVID and politics and the economy and … well you get the idea. Reading scripture gives you spiritual perspective. An understanding the spans beyond the physical of this life on earth.  Some conclusions that I came to – personal epiphanies if you will.  The history of mankind does not revolve round me or my generation.  My generation is not the culmination nor the swan song of God’s creation. What is happening today is not the worst that has ever happened in the history of mankind – perhaps not the worst that will happen in the future, but it is the worst that most people have experienced in their lifetime. We want God to intervene so we do not have to endure hardships. So life will be easy – worry free.  But what if He does not intervene? What if COVID does not go away soon?  What if the political party we don’t like comes to power? What if ……..?

"Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”  – Philippians 4:5-7

The Lord is at hand. His message to us – “Trust Him … Live by faith” Seems simple enough.  But how can something so simple to understand be so difficult to do? I think the next admonition gives us some insight.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;  In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones.” – Proverbs 3:5-8

Right – because we trust ourselves more than we trust God – even when we are in the midst of a trial.  We want God to pull us out of the difficulty when most likely He will see us through it and not pull us out.  Do you find that discouraging? I hope not.  Living by faith does not mean that you won’t get sick, won’t suffer loss, won’t be disappointed.  My guess is that everyone reading this has already experienced all three. Perhaps many times. We need spiritual perspective to live in the way that the Bible tells us to live.  That perspective is something that is matured by the exercising of faith.  The more we trust – the more we trust.

Happy Thanksgiving!

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: