Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Though He Slay Me

Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him. Even so, I will defend my own ways before Him. He also shall be my salvation.” —Job 13:15-16

All of us face difficulties in this life. Challenges. Interruptions of our plans and goals.  I have a meeting today to discuss plans for the months ahead. I think I know what I will be doing in the days ahead, but I don’t really. So what happens if or most probably when, those plans are interrupted.  What happens when life does not go the way I thought it would or should?  Consider God’s servant Job. He was doing everything right when everything went wrong – not to plan. Job was a victim. He loved God and pursued righteous living. The question was – would Job still love God if his circumstances changed?

A man’s heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps.” – Proverbs 16:9

We are like leaves in the wind. We really don’t have any control over where we might land or certainly not which way the wind blows.  I have been trying to ready the travel trailer to go to the Lake Charles, Louisiana area to support the work there.  The Alabama tag had expired and since we are not Texas residents, I had to get the title transferred and a new Texas tag. So two weeks ago I went to the local tag office. When I arrived, I was told that I had to make an appointment. I asked how I was suppose to know that. (I was not the only one getting turned away – COVID strikes again) They said to check the web site. So I left and checked the web site. The soonest I could schedule an appointment was yesterday.  The trailer leaves today. I got the papers in order and went for my appointment. When I got to the window the clerk asked me if I was having a good day.  I said, “I will answer that after I talk to you.”  I was told that I had to have the trailer weighed on a scale and it had to be inspected before they could process my application. But, they could give me a one day tag so I could move the trailer legally.  I asked if they know who inspected trailers and where I could get the trailer weighed.  They gave me a list of local scale locations and any place that inspects vehicles.  She made a temporary tag.  I wrote the check only to be told they don’t take checks for temporary tags. They said if I could be back by 4:00 I could still get me tag. That was at 10:30. I said “Do you remember the question you asked me when I came to the window? How are you?” She said, “yes”, probably expecting the worst – I don’t envy her job.  I said “I am blessed.” And left. 

I had to go back and hook my truck up to the trailer and then get it weighed and inspected. Amazingly enough, I was back at the window at 2:00pm that afternoon. She told me that it was two hundred and seventy five.  I asked two hundred and seventy five dollars or two hundred dollars and seventy five cents. She said two hundred dollars and seventy five.  So I wrote the check for two hundred dollars and seventy five cents.  She looked at it and said, “No – two hundred and seventy five dollars.” And another voided check later, I got it right. That is what happens when you are both speaking through mask through a little hole in plexi-glass.  (COVID strikes again!) But ….. I got the tag!

We don’t have to be doing something wrong to have something disruptive happen to us.  For me it was inconvenience – frustration.  As I waited in the hallway to go to the window, I watched an old man – meaning older than me – slowly limp down the hall toward the tag office. Bent over, moving slowly wearing a ball cap with the U.S. Airforce emblem on it, suggesting that he was a veteran.  He was turned away, he apparently had not looked at the web site either. You don’t have to look far to see someone with a greater struggle than you have.  We are faced with interruptions, disappointments and hardships every day.  The question is always – “How will you choose to respond?” Is your confidence on God or your circumstances?

“….. count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.” – James 1:2-4

How we respond to life depends upon where our confidence is. Is it in our ability to control life’s events or in God who is sovereign over all of creation.  Is my devotion to Him dependent upon good things happening to me. If something goes sideways do I raise my fist at God and ask how He could let this happen to ME! Doesn’t He know who I am? (the answer to that question BTW is “yes He does”) So WHY?!?!?

But I [Jesus] say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.” – Matthew 5:44-45

Born again, we bear the mark of the God of heaven in that we are sealed and inhabited by the Spirit of God. And so we should and can bear the fruit of the Spirit in spite of what trouble comes our way. Not because we are good but because He is good. Not because we are able but because He is able. And if you want to talk to Him, you don’t have to make an appointment.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: