Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Being A Real Imitation

"Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.” —Ephesians 5:1-2

Great sermon this past Sunday – made me think! I am certain that you have heard the saying “He or she is the spittin’ image of …..” Meaning that he or she acts just like the person mentioned.  Probably mom or dad.  Of course that can be good or bad depending upon the person’s character they are being compared to. You might have also heard the saying, “The apple does not fall far from the tree.” Same idea. So what does that have to do with who we are as Christians.

I think that most of us live our lives without much regard to who we reflect.  We are just trying to get by. Doing the best we can. We are content with being who we are. Acknowledging God and Jesus, but not going overboard with separating ourselves from the culture we live in and its practices.  We live most of our lives in the grey area between the spiritual and the natural. We have resolved that some things are just not that bad – not sin really. We live in a comfortable space. Certainly not spiritual fanatics – but absolutely not like those sinners that we would never associate with or want to be like.  We don’t really imitate God – in a radical way – but we do kinda-sorta look like Him. Especially on Sunday mornings.

My point here is not to send anyone on a guilt trip – but to encourage everyone to stop and reflect on God’s calling – that His commandments are not suggestions but expectations. Is I am having a problem with my family resemblance – it is not my Father’s fault. It is a willful decision that I have made.  Being imitators of God is not a product of my efforts to do better but a result of my loving God and yielding my heart and devotion to Him.  We all know if we are living rightly as Christians. We all know what is expected of us. The problem is not in the knowing – it is in the doing.  

We are to be salt and light in the world.  Our job is not to change the world. Our job – our responsibility is to point the world to the One who can change hearts and eternal destinies.  As imitators of God we should be His reflection – a sharp, supernatural contrast to the natural.  Of course we should do good things – but that is a result of the love we have for God, primarily, and the difference that love relationship makes in our lives.

For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.” – Ephesians 5:8-11

I want to encourage you to examine your life – as I must do mine – considering our ways in light of the God we serve, the Savoir we follow, the Spirit that leads us and the Word that enlightens us.  It is something we must do every day – perhaps every minute of every hour. The journey – the life – that God has called us to is impossible to walk and to live without Him. As I type these words – songs are rolling through my mind – “I need thee every hour – Most gracious Lord. No tender voice like Thine Can peace afford. I need Thee, O I need Thee

Every hour I need Thee. O bless me now, my Savior I come to Thee. I need Thee every hour Stay Thou nearby. Temptations lose their power When Thou art nigh” – another song is – “Precious Lord, take my hand Lead me on, let me stand. I am tired, I'm weak, I am worn. Through the storm, through the night Lead me on to the light. Take my hand, precious Lord Lead me home.”

Be blessed by friend

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: