Wednesday, May 20, 2020

What Has God Been Saying To You?


Now the Lord came and stood and called as at other times, ‘Samuel! Samuel!’ And Samuel answered, ‘Speak, for Your servant hears.’” – 1 Samuel 3:10

We just finished our Experiencing God study via Zoom!  It is a study about how we can come to learn how God interacts with His children, really since the beginning.  Do you believe that God will and does speak to you by the Holy Spirit? It’s true.  Like Samuel, the Lord has something to say to each of us – even though we might not want to admit to ourselves or to others. Dr. Blackaby, the author of Experiencing God said that it is not a question about whether we hear God, the quest is “Will we obey God?”.

While preparing to teach the lesson I was reminded of something that happened to Martie and me, some years ago.  We were in Mississippi repairing homes and, at the time, running a volunteer camp in Waveland. (this was before Pathfinder Mission)  The Lord had connected us to the Missions Pastor, Bill, from Orlando First Baptist church.  He was sending volunteers to that camp. Bill called me one day and told me that there was someone that he wanted Martie and me to meet and could we have lunch with them. We agreed of course and me them at a Mexican restaurant in Waveland. One of the few that had reopened since the storm – Hurricane Katrina.  The man he wanted us to meet, Jim, had been the senior pastor at Bill’s church since 1977 and the president of the Southern Baptist Convention for a few years.  I really wasn’t sure why we were meeting him, but I make it a habit to ask the Lord why I meet anyone like that. I always assume it will be for God’s purpose in His time.

Martie and I had been struggling with obeying what we felt God has said plainly to us, which was to start a ministry, Pathfinder Mission – but at that time we didn’t have a name for it yet.  We had been praying but had not really shared what God was leading us to with others yet.  So, as we sat at the table with Bill and Jim, Jim looked at me and said – “So, Charley, what has God been saying to you?” I just looked at Martie and she at me. It was like God had allowed Jim a peak into our hearts and knew there was something up.

Dr. Blackaby said that God speaks by the Spirit though prayer, the Word, circumstances and other Believers. I thought for a few seconds, squeezed Martie’s hand and told Jim what we believed God was telling us to do.  He did not blink.  He said, “If there is anything I can do to help you, just let me know.  I will be happy to help.”  We never did go back to him for any assistance.  He had already helped us, probably more than he knew.  We were encouraged to decide to obey what God was saying to us.  And the rest is, well, history and history in the making.

We have learned that there are no coincidences in life of a Christian only “God-incidences”.  So tell me – “What has God been saying to you?”

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.” – Jeremiah 29:11-13

No comments: