Monday, January 13, 2020

More Of Jesus - Less of Me - The Only Resolution That Makes Sense

Our yesterdays hold broken and irreversible things for us. It is true that we have lost opportunities that will never return, but God can transform this destructive anxiety into a constructive thoughtfulness for the future. Let the past rest, but let it rest in the sweet embrace of Christ. Leave the broken, irreversible past in His hands, and step out into the invincible future with Him.” –  Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest

Are you ready for a new year, a new decade? Perhaps you want to change some things about the way you live or look.  You want to breaking some old habits and start some new ones. As you know, most of those resolutions are tossed on the pile of those resolutions abandoned after a few days, weeks or months from previous new years.  There is an old hymn that describes what our attitude should be with regard to our past, our present and our future and the means by which lasting change can happen. “Have Thine Own Way”

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way! Thou art the potter, I am the clay! Mold me and make me, after Thy will While I am waiting, yielded and still. Search me and try me, Master, today! Whiter than snow, Lord, wash me just now, As in thy presence Humbly I bow. Wounded and weary, Help me, I pray! Power, all power, surely is Thine Touch me and heal me, Savior divine! Hold o'er my being absolute sway! Fill with Thy Spirit 'til all shall see Christ only, always, living in me. Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!  POLLARD, ADELAIDE

All of us have things in our past that we regret.  Satan, the god of this world, would have us cling to those things, so that they would define who we are today and limit what we will be in the future.  But Jesus has overcome sin and the grave. (1 Corinthians 15:17) In Him we have new life. (1 John 5:12) Old things are passed away. (2 Corinthians 5:17)  We are forgiven, in Christ. (Ephesians 4:32) It is Jesus that defines us now.  Of course that is not to say that we should continue in sin, but, instead, that we should not let our sins, our failings, in the past be a wall that we cannot get by.  If you want to make a resolution for this year .. make it that you will draw closer to Jesus .. “So turn your eyes upon Jesus.  Look full in His wonderful face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.”  Bòn Ane (Happy New Year)

To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.” – Jude 24-25

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: