Monday, September 9, 2019

Hearing When The Lord Speaks

“The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed” –  Luke 4:18

Those are the verses that Jesus read in the Temple in Nazareth. I have read them many times before – both in Luke 4 and in Isaiah 61. But yesterday, when I heard them during the church service – the Spirit impressed them upon me. I don’t hear voices, but I do hear the Spirit speak to me. Not in audible words, but in sudden realization. Martie and I have decided to join the church – formally – and as I filled the card out – one of the questions was – “What ministries have you participated in" – well, I ran out of room – that cemented the impression the Spirit made on me during the service. Frankly, when I heard the verses I thought – “I need to share this in my devotional BLOG tomorrow.” But, as I stood there, staring at the card, I thought this is not just for others, it is for me.

You see, it is easy to lose sight of what the Lord has equipped and called us to do. Even in the midst of serving - doing good things. From time to time, we need to have our memories and hearts refreshed. We need to have the awareness of our calling refreshed. The daily grind of life can dull our spiritual senses and our calling can lose its clarity. So – to my point this morning. When you attend church – don’t let it become the something that you do on Sunday morning. Go to church expecting to hear from God. It is not about the music – it is not about the preaching – it is not about the fellowship – it IS about worshipping the Creator God and focusing your mind, your entire self, on Him. Expecting to hear from Him. Sometimes we hear from God, but are not certain it is God.  That is where the help of other Christians is needed. We should be like Samuel.

Then Eli perceived that the Lord had called the boy. Therefore Eli said to Samuel, “Go, lie down; and it shall be, if He calls you, that you must say, ‘Speak, Lord, for Your servant hears.’ ” So Samuel went and lay down in his place. Now the Lord came and stood and called as at other times, ‘Samuel! Samuel!’ And Samuel answered, ‘Speak, for Your servant is hears.’” – 1 Samuel 3:8-10

Yesterday I was reminded that we were created in His image and by faith, rebirth, and sanctification by the Spirit, we are being restored – conformed into the image of Christ.

For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.” – Romans 8:29

So you see – what is true of Jesus is true for me and true for you. And in the context of that truth we might say –

The Spirit of the Lord is upon [us], because He has anointed [us] to preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent [us] to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed. To the glory of God and the good of others.

Speak Lord, for your servant hears.

No comments: