Thursday, August 1, 2019

Do You Know Who It Is That Is Asking?

Jesus answered her, ‘If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.’” —John 4:10

I am not a mystical guy – touchy feely- wearing my emotions on my sleeve.  That is not how most people I know would describe me.  So take what I am about to write in that context. The Lord woke me up this morning with John 4:10 on my mind.  Very often I have no idea what I am going to write on any particular day – then the Holy Spirit shows up and says “Write this!” Now I am not suggesting that I am writing “ex cathedra”. (“Ex cathedra” is a Latin term which means from the chair or authoritative. Ex cathedra authority is derived from one's office or position. Normally used in association with the Catholic church and the Pope.) The prompting I receive from the Spirit of God is no different than it is for any other Christian.  So on to the point.

Most all of us live in a world of in between.  One foot in heaven and one foot firmly planted in the world (I almost wrote Hell, but thought it might be too extreme) Jesus was talking to a woman who had both feet on the world side of the line.  She and Jesus were talking at cross-purposes. (If two or more people are at cross purposes, they do not understand each other because they are talking about different subjects without realizing this: I think we've been talking at cross purposes – “I meant next year, not this year.”)

She was talking about mortal things and Jesus was talking about eternal things.  But both were talking about the “here and now”. I am about the crest the hill of another decade in my life. In 8 days I will be 69 years old. The last year of the sixth decade of my life.  I am thinking about Jesus words, “If you knew the gift and Who it is that is asking”. I watch so many people stumble through life.  Trying desperately to cling to the world and what it offers, ignoring the reality of the eternal. 

I may have 10 – 20 or maybe even 30 years of life left on this planet, but I am living in eternity at the same time. How ever much time the Lord has granted me, I must live it to the full for Him. Planting spiritual seeds wherever I go – blessing others in whatever I do – bring glory to God in all of it.  I would hope that the same could be said for you. 

I don’t have any idea who all reads what I write.  I am surprised every week by someone making comment and I had no idea they were reading my posts.  I suppose, in truth, it doesn’t matter that I know.  (My flesh wants to know so it can take some credit, robbing God of His due.) What matters most is that I do what God says to do and let Him bring the increase for His glory. Think about the amazing truth of your salvation and then commit to living like you are saved by grace and not works through faith in Jesus – the One who spoke to you by the well.

Soli Deo Gloria

No comments: