Saturday, April 6, 2019

You Were Not Saved To Go To Church – But To Be The Church

On this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.  — Matthew 16:18

Martie and I are back in Alabama getting our house ready to sell.  I saw a neighbor and he was asking me how our ministry in Texas was going.  He is a Christian so our conversation had a spiritual tone. I am always alert to indications that someone is born again because it allows me to speak in a different context with an expectation that they will have spiritual understanding.  I told him that we were selling our house and would be in Texas for the foreseeable future.  Meaning until the Lord moved us on.  After a several minutes of sharing what God has been doing through us and to us, he commented about “going to church” alluding to the fact that we both sensed the presence of God’s Spirit during our conversation.  I told him that we are not saved to got to church but are saved to be the church. That caused me to remember Jesus words about establishing His church.

To elaborate on that point I need to share the context of Matthew 16:18

He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock [the truth that I am the Christ] I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. [Because I am the Christ] I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” Then he strictly charged the disciples to tell no one that he was the Christ. – Matthew 16:15-20

[The brackets indicate that I have inserted clarification to the verse]

The Church and the Body of Christ are synonymous with those who have been born again by the Spirit. The church that you attend on Sunday morning is not the Church – big “C”.  It is a place where the Church gathers for corporate worship and equipping of the Saints.

And his gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ; so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the cunning of men, by their craftiness in deceitful wiles. Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by every joint with which it is supplied, when each part is working properly, makes bodily growth and upbuilds itself in love.– Ephesians 4:11-16

The Church is the Church not because of Peter but because of Jesus, Who is the Christ.  Peter and the other disciples were gifted to do what they did by the Spirit of God in the same what that your pastor is gifted.  The same way that Billy Graham was gifted for his role in the Church as an evangelist and the same way that you have been gifted for your place in the Body of Christ.  The Christian singer and song writer, Keith Green,  said “Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than going to McDonalds makes you a hamburger!”

And when you do go to church, and you should not forsake that Biblical mandate of assembling with other Christians, keep your eyes fixed on Jesus to whom the Church belongs and not on the people around you or the music that is used to facilitate worship.

Be the Church wherever you go and you will discover another truth.

For where two or three gather in my [Jesus] name, there am I with them. – Matthew 18:20

No comments: