Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Biblical Forgiveness – Forgiving And Forgetting – Part 5

To  summarize our discussion on Forgiveness.  

First: Offering forgiveness is not an option, it is a Biblical command. 

Second: Forgiveness is not an exercise of our natural will, but our supernatural surrender. 

Third: Forgiveness offers peace to the one forgiving and the hope of restoration should the prodigal repent and return. 

Fourth: The goal or hope of forgiveness is restoration for the sinner and not merely relief for the one offended. 

There are two main actors in the forgiveness process.  The one who was offended and the one who is guilty of the offense.  When Bob, the one offended, decided that he wanted restoration with Fred, the one who sinned.  Bob had to be willing to forgive – hold Fred harmless – and in doing so find peace and comfort from God.  By faith, it was possible for Bob to forgive Fred and be at peace with Fred without Fred ever repenting and confessing.  There was possibility of peace even when there is no reconciliation. It was a peace that is spiritual not natural. Bob had to accept that hope of forgiveness, which is restoration of the relationship, might never happen. It is that lack of closure that people find so unsettling.  They want restoration, just like God wants restoration. (For God so loved the world …. ) 

I have told people that I know when I have reconciled my heart toward someone who has sinned against me.  It is when I no longer get anxious or angry when I think about their transgression. I must do my part, surrender my right to retribution to the Lord even knowing that they may never do their part. That is between them and God.  My heart is at peace, a little sadder because restoration and reconciliation has not happened perhaps, but at peace all the same. 

Final thought

Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sinned against us.” – Luke 11:4 

 Jesus told the disciples to pray that way.  When we do, what we are really asking is this, “God treat us the same way we treat others.”  Think about what you are asking God to do. “God, you said we should forgive like You forgive.  God, I am asking that You forgive me the way I forgive others.” So, if I refuse to forgive others then I want God to refuse to forgive me.  And He will, you know why? Because in my refusal, I am sinning against God.

I have not heard many sermons preached on these verses, but they are critical to our understanding the importance of forgiveness and the need for us to initiate restoration, even if our advances are rejected.  How people respond to our offer of forgiveness is not our responsibility, but how we respond is. I will close my thought on forgiveness with these verses and admonition. 

“Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.  Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.  Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God. For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.” – 2 Corinthians 5:16-21 

God has given us the ministry of reconciliation.  We must be faithful to it, careful to not let our flesh – hurt feelings or a demand for restitution or, worse, retribution cause us to sin ourselves.  

‘Nuff Said! I am off to the next Biblical conundrum!

No comments: