Friday, January 11, 2019

Not Trusting God Comes Naturally

In my experience the greatest enemy facing me and my desire to follow God and yield to His leading and ways is, well…. It’s me.  Not trusting God is part of my old nature, trusting God is part of the new. I find it so easy to agree with God and acknowledge His precepts as right, and yet, when faced with life I turn to me and not Him.  The phrase Living by Faith is not meant to be a plaque on the living room wall … or merely a pleasantry that we acknowledge as being right.  To live by faith – in God – means to trust Him first. 

Living by faith is not like one of the bodily functions controlled by the autonomic nervous system .. like breathing and heart beats … something that you don’t have to think about … Living by faith is intentional … an act of the will.  If you are struggling in your faith, it is most likely that the source of the struggle is you .. not your circumstances.  Like the man who said to Jesus “Help me with my unbelief”  (Mark 9:21-24)  “Jesus asked the boy’s father, “How long has he been like this?” “From childhood,” he answered. “It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.” “‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.” Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!””

In this life on Earth, we are not spared form hardship or heartache, but … we can endure whatever life brings our way if we will only have faith in the One who sent His Son … The One who created us from dust and breathed life into us.  Once in our natural birth and then again in our rebirth when He sealed us with His Spirit – the Breath of God.  I know that trusting God in the midst of the turmoil of life can be difficult .. maybe you think impossible … 

If Christians neglect the disciplines of the faith … if Sunday is the sum total of the time they spend with the Father, and maybe not even then  … then when the test comes . .and it will come, they will likely get a failing grade.  Not because God was not able to sustain them, but because they chose to ignore Him and trust themselves.  Why is something that seems so simple, so hard to do? Because it’s in the DNA of our old nature to trust ourselves even if it always leads to failure.  Remember that is the definition of insanity

No comments: