Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Finding The Sweet Spot In Your Christian Life.


(1 Corinthians 12:12) “Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ.

(1 Corinthians 12:27) “Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.” 

When we are born again, we are given a place in the body of Christ. A role to fulfill.  I was thinking about being in the military – the Army specifically. Everyone wears the same uniform.  There is a code of conduct – rules and decorum that are to be followed by everyone.  But there are also military specialties – communications – aviation – infantry – armor – artillery – supply – transportation – and specific roles and areas of expertise in each of those. 

As Paul points out in 1 Corinthians – each Christian has a place or role as well.  The challenge is to understand it – embrace it and fulfill it.  Some Christians never get past wearing the uniform – as if that is good enough.  I am certain that you have seen people, specifically men, wearing hats that indicate they are veterans having served in one of the branches of the military. And, perhaps, even during a conflict.  I have the hats, but don’t wear them.  I am proud of my service – don’t get me wrong.  I served in Vietnam as a PFC radio operator with the Advisors in the Mekong Delta. I served in Desert Storm in 3rd Army Aviation Operations as a Major, flew 3 different helicopters (not in Desert Storm), Hueys, Cobras, Chinooks.  Was a maintenance test pilot in Cobras.  Commanded twice.  Received a Masters of Military Science from the Command and General Staff College.  Impressed yet? I cannot take credit for my abilities – I know that they all are a gift from God.  I may have honed my skills through diligence, but God created me the way He did – purposed my life for His glory – not mine. 

So back to the guys wearing the hats – I talked with one guy once who wore a Vietnam Vet hat.  When I asked where he served, he told me with some hesitation that he was on a ship off of the coast of Vietnam, but never actually set foot on Vietnamese soil.  I could see that although he wore the hat – he was unsure about talking to and comparing himself to someone who had waded through rice paddies. But, I did not judge him – he was willing to serve – where he served was up to the Navy.  There were Navy River patrol boats stationed with us. It could have been his assignment.  And listen – I am by no means disrespecting men and women who served but not directly in harm’s way.  I have the highest respect for them. In fact when we (me and my family) were on active duty I said “Washington cuts the orders but God makes the assignments”. (Proverbs 16:9

The bottom line – It does not matter if you are in a foxhole staring down the barrels of the enemy’s guns or are on a ship floating in the ocean out of range from any enemy attack – serve faithfully where God has put you.  We are not all the same – by God’s design. But – we are all part of the Body and serve the same Lord.  If you are on that ship – you are right where God wants you – so serve proudly and with every ounce of your ability.  Live in the sweet spot that God has prepared for you. To the glory of God. CHARLEY 

No comments: