Thursday, September 13, 2018

We Change From The Inside-Out Not The Outside-In


Have you ever noticed that some people change the way they talk or act when they are around you?  This has happened to me on a number of occasions. And if I am honest – I have done it myself on more than one occasion.  There is one person I know that struggles with profanity.  He is a Christian – but that is one of those things that has not been “sanctified” out of him yet.  When we talk, he will catch the word coming out of his mouth and quickly change it.  It is obvious what happened and since I was a very profane person at one time, it is not difficult for me to “fill in the blanks”. Many Christians seem to think that the use of profanity is not a big deal, but there are actually Biblical principles behind it.  

(Psalm 19:14) “May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.”  What we say should be consistent with who God is and not with who we were in our natural, sinful state.

(Ephesians 4:29) “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”

So in his heart he knows it is wrong but it is out of his heart that the words come.  (Luke 6:45) “A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.”  

But words we use are only one thing that we prefer other Christians to not know about.  We may think we have people fooled, but it is God and not people that we should be concerned about. And guess what – He already knows – nothing is hidden from Him.  Confession means “to agree with” not to “reveal”.  When you confess your sins to God (1 John 1:9) it’s not like you are going to surprise Him.  Look – whether it is the words you use or the things you do toward others that is part of your old – sinful nature, rather than hide it, you need to surrender it.  One thing you must not do is accept it as an unchangeable part of your life.  Or do you suppose that God is not able? The truth is that very likely, you are not really willing to let go of it.  It’s time to get real my friend and choose God.

By the way – I don’t judge my friend. I encourage him in the faith.  I can’t change his heart – only God can do that – but what I can do is show him God’s grace and mercy and love.  CHARLEY

No comments: