Friday, July 27, 2018

Deciding What To Do While You Have A Life To Live.

Matie and I are traveling to Peoria, Illinois to see my sister who is in the hospital. I am writing today's devotion from a computer in the lobby of a hotel.  Please pray thather health will be retored .. for her good and for God's glory.

I often use life events as a catalyst for what I write, seeking to find and share the spiritual significance of what happens in life.  Seeing life from a spiritual perspective should be the norm for Christians.  I assume if you are reading this, you are a Christian, born again by faith in Jesus and have the God-given capacity for spiritual understanding and insight. 

Like it or not, my generation is what I call, in-the-queue.  Imagine you are in a line of people.  All of you are waiting outside of a door.  Each person represents a generation of people. The door opens, the next person goes in, the door closes.  You take a step forward.  With each door opening and closing you get closer to the door.  Now you are standing at the door.  When it opens the next time, you will pass through and the door will close.  I am standing at the door, so are all of my siblings.  Nearly all of my parent's  generation have passed through the door.   It is not a bad thing, it is the nature of things.  But the call about my sister caused me to consider some things, some spiritual eternal things.

I was thinking about the man who was building bigger barns. (Luke 12:16-21) "And he [Jesus] told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’ “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain.  And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’ “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’ “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”

What are you investing your life, your resources, in?  Things on this earth or things eternal?  We are all in that line outside of the door.  We don't know how much time we have been given, but we do know we have today. Are you investing in the lives of others? Are you showing th eworld what Jesus looks like or are you scrambling with the rest of the world trying to find on earth what can only be found in heaven?  I want to encourage you to consider your life. Are you building bigger barns, in vain?  Or are you investing your life and resources in the lives of others and for God's glory?  What is the most important thing in your life? Might I suggest this?

(Matthew 22:37-39) Love God then love people.

No comments: