Thursday, May 31, 2018

What Does It Mean To Be Like Jesus ?



Jesus did not commit Himself to them…for He knew what was in man. —John 2:24-25

{CHAMBERS} “Put Trust in God First. Our Lord never put His trust in any person. Yet He was never suspicious, never bitter, and never lost hope for anyone, because He put His trust in God first. He trusted absolutely in what God’s grace could do for others. If I put my trust in human beings first, the end result will be my despair and hopelessness toward everyone. I will become bitter because I have insisted that people be what no person can ever be— absolutely perfect and right. Never trust anything in yourself or in anyone else, except the grace of God. Put God’s Will First. […] The purpose of our Christian training is to get us into the right relationship to the “needs” of God and His will. […] Am I allowing my natural life to be slowly transformed by the indwelling life of the Son of God? God’s ultimate purpose is that His Son might be exhibited in me.”

{ELGIN}  Is it the desire of your heart that your life would be a perfect reflection of Jesus?  It’s a question I had to ask myself.  Oh I want to be a Christian.  I love God.  I follow Jesus.  I serve others. But .. do I really want to be like Jesus?  Think about this.  Most every Christian I know would say “yes” if I asked “Do you want to love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength?” (Matthew 22:37) Jesus asked (Luke 6:46) "Why do you call me, 'LORD, LORD,' and do not do what I say?”  God’s intent is that we all become conformed to the image of Jesus.  That means being absolutely like Jesus in our obedience to the Father and His will.  I have a long way to go.  We all do, but the question is are you moving toward that goal .. each day … or are you content with being where you are?  To be like Jesus means to be willing to lay your life down .. to crucify your old nature … nail it to the cross and no longer be subject to it .. attracted by it .. content with it still having its way in your life.  Treating others the way Jesus did and not the way your ego, insecurities, and emotions cause you to treat them.  Showing the world what grace and mercy look like without compromising your faith in or obedience to the Father.  That requires spiritual wisdom which can only come from God and devotion to God.  Devoting yourself to seeking out the Father’s will – every day.  That is the life that I want but it is also the life that I am prone to neglect if I am not careful.  Take some time to examine yourself this morning and then spend some time with the Lord.  Then let the world see what Jesus looks like in the life of a Believer.  Fulfill your purpose.

No comments: