Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Understanding Is Not A Prerequisite For Obedience - Trust Is


My Utmost For His Highest 

"Let us go to Judea again." The disciples said to Him, "…are You going there again?" —John 11:7-8

{CHAMBERS}  “Just because I don’t understand what Jesus Christ says, I have no right to determine that He must be mistaken in what He says. That is a dangerous view, and it is never right to think that my obedience to God’s directive will bring dishonor to Jesus. The only thing that will bring dishonor is not obeying Him. […] I know when the instructions have come from God because of their quiet persistence. But when I begin to weigh the pros and cons, and doubt and debate enter into my mind, I am bringing in an element that is not of God. This will only result in my concluding that His instructions to me were not right. Many of us are faithful to our ideas about Jesus Christ, but how many of us are faithful to Jesus Himself? Faithfulness to Jesus means that I must step out even when and where I can’t see anything (see Matthew 14:29). But faithfulness to my own ideas means that I first clear the way mentally. Faith, however, is not intellectual understanding; faith is a deliberate commitment to the Person of Jesus Christ, even when I can’t see the way ahead.”

{ELGIN} Knowing the “why” is a big deal to many people.  For most, before they will do something they want to know the reason. Why? Because they want to know so they can decide if they agree with it. And so it is with receiving God’s direction often times.  What we are asked to do does not make sense …. Get out of the boat and walk on water … walk across a flooded river … march around a fortified city 7 times … wash yourself in the river 7 times … put your faith in Jesus and walk … draw from the well that never will run dry … trust in the Lord and do not lean on your own understanding … confess and believe and you will be saved.  (Isaiah 55:8) “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.” 

When my daughter was taking Algebra in school, she asked me how to solve a particular problem.  I showed her but then proceeded to explain to her “why” we solved the problem that way.  A page and a half later, her eyes were glazed over and like Charley Brown all she heard was “Wah Wa Wah Wah Wah”.  The only way we will understand the “why” is by the Spirit of God, and truth be told, we may still not “get it” fully.  Understanding is not the prerequisite for obedience, trust is.  Our mental capacity is not adequate for understanding God.  He is the potter and we are the clay. (Isaiah 64:8) “But now, O LORD, you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand.”

No comments: