Saturday, June 4, 2016

What Are You Hanging On To That Is Holding You Back?

My Utmost For His Highest
 
He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." —Hebrews 13:5
 
“What line of thinking do my thoughts take? Do I turn to what God says or to my own fears? Am I simply repeating what God says, or am I learning to truly hear Him and then to respond after I have heard what He says? “For He Himself has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’ So we may boldly say: ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?’ ” (Hebrews 13:5-6). “I will never leave you…”— not for any reason; not my sin, selfishness, stubbornness, nor waywardness. Have I really let God say to me that He will never leave me? […]  “I will never…forsake you.” […] … as we grow in His grace we find that God is glorifying Himself here and now, at this very moment. If we have God’s assurance behind us, the most amazing strength becomes ours, and we learn to sing, glorifying Him even in the ordinary days and ways of life.”  CHAMBERS
 
Do you believe that, in your new life in Christ, you have the ability to overcome that which overcomes you?  Do you believe that what seems to take control of you and dominate your thoughts and actions is, itself, “defeatable”?  Do you believe that the life you have been living is not your destiny .. is not inescapable .. that there is something more .. something better?  You should, because it’s true.  Victory over your old nature is possible, in fact it’s promised.  But it is not without a cost.  You must stop choosing yourself and choose God. That is not something someone else can do for you.  Perhaps as much as they would like to.  You have to offer yourself to God.  Give up your right to yourself and to self-determination.  I had lunch with a friend the other day.  He commented about how he was encouraged by Martie and my willingness to forsake all to follow God.  The comment is very telling.  Every one of us is called to forsake all and follow God.  Why should that seem exceptional?  Because it is, unfortunately, the exception.  Most people want to forsake “some” and hang on to what they treasure.  Some habit .. some preference … some dependence.  Think about it .. what keeps you from total abandonment to God?  You need to .. you must … lay it at the foot of the cross. (Romans 12:1,2)  In Haiti, a number of Voodoo practitioners have professed their faith in Christ.  But only a few have been moved to destroy those things that mark their  devotion to Voodoo and the false gods they worshipped.  The others have merely added “belief” in Jesus to their other beliefs and practices.  Like Lot’s wife when she left the city, they cannot let go of their devotion to the “old things”.
 
What about you?  What is holding you back?  What makes you so afraid that you are unwilling to let go?  God has so much more for you.  Jesus came so that you could have life and have it abundantly.  (John 10:10)  Don’t waste another day in misery.  Choose God.  I told my friend that all I can take credit for in this life is saying “yes” to God.  It’s God who deserves and gets the glory.  And I, well, I give Him the praise.  CHARLEY

No comments: