Monday, May 2, 2016

The Nearer You Are To The Cross, The Clearer Your Understanding Of Your Calling

My Utmost For His Highest
 
Though it tarries, wait for it… —Habakkuk 2:3
 
“Patience is not the same as indifference; patience conveys the idea of someone who is tremendously strong and able to withstand all assaults. Having the vision of God is the source of patience because it gives us God’s true and proper inspiration. Moses endured, not because of his devotion to his principles of what was right, nor because of his sense of duty to God, but because he had a vision of God. “…he endured as seeing Him who is invisible” (Hebrews 11:27). […] It is a bad thing to be satisfied spiritually. The psalmist said, “What shall I render to the Lord…? I will take up the cup of salvation…” (Psalm 116:12-13). We are apt to look for satisfaction within ourselves and say, “Now I’ve got it! Now I am completely sanctified. Now I can endure.” Instantly we are on the road to ruin. […] Paul said, “Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on…” (Philippians 3:12). If we have only what we have experienced, we have nothing. But if we have the inspiration of the vision of God, we have more than we can experience. Beware of the danger of spiritual relaxation.”  CHAMBERS
 
There is a pattern in the lives of the people called by God.  They “heard” the call of God, they entered into a season of preparation, and then God told them it was time to enter into their calling.  I put “heard” in quotes because only in a few instances did God speak audibly from Heaven to men, and when He did, few could discern it.  In John 12:28-30  Jesus said, “Father, glorify your name!” Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.” The crowd that was there and heard it said it had thundered; others said an angel had spoken to him. Jesus said, “This voice was for your benefit, not mine.” Like Jesus, God does not need to call us audibly, we have His Spirit in us and we know when it is God speaking.  There are general and specific callings.  God calls all men (and women) to Himself, to salvation by faith in Jesus.  God calls us to live a life that is obedient to the Word of God.  And God calls each of us to fulfill His purpose for us using the spiritual capacity or giftings given to us.  We, all, must grow into our calling, if you will.  We must enter into a season of preparation for our specific calling.  The length of that season varies.  For Moses it was 40 years.  For Paul it was three years including time in the desert. (Galatians 1:15-18) “But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, my immediate response was not to consult any human being. I did not go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went into Arabia. Later I returned to Damascus. Then after three years, I went up to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Cephas (Peter).”  Paul was a Pharisee, a highly educated man, but God’s wisdom is not the same as man’s.  Paul had to be prepared for his calling to be the Apostle to the Gentiles.

So what is my point?  God has called each of us.  You can’t do what He calls you to on your own.  Moses was second in command in Egypt.  Paul was at the top of the Pharisee ladder.  But their abilities were adequate for God’s purpose.  You cannot live your new life successfully on your terms.  You cannot serve God anyway you want to.  The way you think best.  God will never ask you to do anything that you can do by yourself.  But God will provide His power channeled through your faith to accomplish His purpose.  The nearer you draw to the Cross, the clearer you will understand your calling and how you must live your new life. ELGIN
 
Charley Elgin

No comments: